Chapter 19

Belle had never slept so much or so well in her entire life. That night, thanks to that blessed chamomile tea that Anthony gave her, she managed to sleep for 14 hours straight. And for someone who was used to always waking up very early, and often waking up a few times during the night, this was practically a miracle. A very welcome miracle. The brunette loved this "new experience" so it certainly wouldn't be the last time she indulged in this "magic tea".
But wait, Belle thought, something isn't right. Daisy always woke her up at 9 am at the latest, so she wouldn't miss breakfast. Besides, from her room in the east wing of the mansion, she could hear absolutely nothing. This wasn't normal. Specially because, well, let's just say that the Bridgerton kids weren't the quietest in England.
Belle then decided to go to the window, to see if the reason of this silence was the fact that everyone was currently in the garden, perhaps playing a game like bowling, or even Pall Mall. But when she pulled back the curtains and looked through the large glass screen, she saw that the huge, colorful garden was completely empty. And it wasn't for nothing; the sky was completely gray and it was completely foggy outside - so definitely it wasn't the best day for external activities.
   So she changed into comfortable clothes and just combed her long brown hair; because in that moment she didn't have the patience to try to do a hairstyle or apply at least a tip of rouge on her lips and cheek. Belle knew that Lady Whitmore would probably would complain of her outfit; claiming that she was too messy. But honestly that was her last concern at that moment. When she was about to walk towards the door to go in search of any living soul, someone knocked on the door.
    The girl turned the handle of her bedroom door curiously and slowly opened it. As soon as the door moved away, she saw none other than Anthony Bridgerton, standing in the doorway, his eyes red and filled with tears. His shoulders were hunched, and the moment he entered the room, his legs gave way, and he collapsed to his knees on the floor.
- Anthony! - the brunette exclaimed, before she too dropped to her knees to stay in the boy's level. She then with both her hands gently held his face, and lifted it to examine.

    His' face was visibly haggard and filled with sadness. His' eyes conveyed fear and tension, and he was shaking a lot. His'  brow was furrowed, showing concern and anguish, while his'  mouth was curved downward in an expression of deep pain. His skin was as pale as whipped cream, in a way that made him look like he had just seen a ghost. Something was really wrong.
- Anthony! Are you alright?!

He didn't respond. He just stayed staring straight ahead, with an expression of despair.
- Anthony, for God's sake! What happened?!

- He-He-He died.

At that moment, Belle felt a chill run down her spine. By God, who could have died? Millions of ideas and theories began to permeate the girl's mind. Every member of both the Bridgerton family and the Whitmore family were very healthy, and as far as she knew no one, not one employee, was sick.
      With her heart beating a mile a minute as if it was a horse in a race, and with her entire body shaking with the tension, the girl slowly asked:
- Anthony who died?

- My...my...my father.

At that moment it seemed like the world stopped. Her eyes widened, and the news seemed to take a while to sink in. Belle's pink lips began to tremble, as she tried to form a sentence, with words that she simply couldn't find. Tears began to fill her eyes, and her face became pale as snow. Her body tensed even more, as if she had been struck by a sudden, devastating blow.
    What do you mean, Anthony's father was dead? It wasn't possible that her godfather, one of the greatest father figures she had in her life, had just passed away. It didn't make any sense. Edmund Bridgerton was young, just 38 years old. He was tall, strong and above all, he was full of health; full of life. Belle simply couldn't accept this.