Chapter 6

At night, when Belle couldn't sleep, she always crept downstairs and into the gardens of Aubrey hall. And she would walk around the magnificent gardens, admiring the landscape until she got tired. Yes, during the day the gardens were spectacular, because with full sunlight it was possible to see the vibrant colors of flowers such as roses, tulips, astromelias and gerberas, and the soft colors of the peonies, lavender, daisies, lilacs and hyacinths. But at night, for some reason, the garden was just as magical. Even with the dim light of the lamp, the flowers looked still so beautiful. The floral, fruity, grassy smell was still strong - and the noise of the cicadas, for some reason calmed the girl. And when she was lucky, she even saw a firefly or two, and that, that was quite a show. And when she was tired, and sleep invaded her body, she would go up to her room on tiptoe and go to sleep in peace.
Three summers ago, Viscount Bridgerton had found her down there. He was working late, when he saw from his office his' goddaughter wandering through the gardens at dawn. He didn't scold her, nor did he warn her about the "dangers" of being wandering around at this hour. On the contrary. Since then, he spent some evenings walking in the gardens with her. There they talked about everything and everyone, or they simply admired the splendor of nature. Sometimes he would only check in her, or just stay with her for a short period time, after all he was always a busy man, who took his duty as viscount very seriously. But even if he stayed with her for 5 minutes, it was just so comforting to simply have him there. It reminded her of the times when she still had her father; but that didn't make her sad. On the contrary, she stayed happy; she was very grateful to God for giving her such loving godparents, and she was grateful for them, specially Edmund, for everything he did for her, for treating her like a daughter.
Belle, for change, couldn't sleep the first night of that summer. It always took a day or two for her to get used to the big Queen bed again, even if she had slept in it thousands of times. She tossed and turned for a while, until she couldn't take it anymore: she didn't even bother to change her white long nightdress - she just pulled on a boot, and picked up her lamp. It was her first night visit to the gardens that year. And God, how she missed it. She missed every sight, every sensation; every corner of that garden that was so well cared for and so loved by her godparents.
But this time, when she was passing by the blue hyacinth part for the third time, she realized that she was not alone. About 20 meters away there was a figure of a very tall man; but not as tall as Benedict or her godfather. When she squinted, she saw that it was none other than Anthony Bridgerton; a messy haired, semi unbuttoned white shirt wearing, Anthony Bridgerton. He was still, she noticed. He had spent all this time watching her.

- Good night, Bells - Anthony greeted when he reached her.

- What are you doing down here?

- You do know this is my house, right?

He had his usual mocking, cocky, condescending face. That face that drove her crazy, and not in a good way.

- I couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd go for a walk - he explained, shrugging - Then I saw a light in the gardens from my room and I imagined it was you. So, I though about...you know, check up on you.

- Why did you imagined it was me?

- Oh, come on, Belle. You always come to walk in the gardens at night.

How did he know she roamed the gardens at dawn? She was sure it was a secret. Hers and Edmund's, of course. Then she was forced to ask herself how long did he know and if everyone knew. If she were to be honest, she didn't even know why it mattered, but for some reason it did. At least for her.

- Yes, I mean, I couldn't sleep, and your parent's gardens somehow has the power to calm me down.

- Yes, these gardens are quite something. If you'd like I could stay with you.