Chapter 14

William was an excellent player in almost every game that existed on English soil. But when it came to Badminton...that man was a professional. And that created a big disadvantage for Belle and Anthony, who were struggling to try to change the score that was 19x18 for William and Benedict. Meaning that with two more points, the Whitmore second son would take the victory trophy (not that there was really a trophy), and as a result, his' sister would have to listen to him all week rubbing in her face that he won the game. And Belle just wouldn't accept that. She would never, ever allow herself to be defeated - especially on her own birthday. She would resist as long as she could, but frankly, this task was getting harder and harder.
Different from the day before, in this day the sun decided to grace Belle with its' honorable presence for the day. Which in normal circumstances would be wonderful, except for the fact that playing Badminton one hour straight under the hot sun is not the easiest thing in the world. Nor the least tiring. All the Whitmore girl wanted in that very moment was to join Nicholas on the refreshment table, lay down on the carpet under the shed and collapse.
But instead, as she hit the shuttlecock with her racket to send it to the other side, Belle curiously took a quick side look at Anthony. He had already taken off his overcoat, and she was pretty sure he was only wearing his shirt because there were ladies present. Just Belle, on this case. But not that she minded if he decided to go shirtless either. Although, the intense sweating made his' white button shirt stay practically see-through. It took a lot of effort and dedication on her part to try not to stare every time - it took lot of strength to concentrate on the bloody shuttlecock and on the match that was taking place in that very moment.
Then she decided to look back forward, and she noted that Benedict looked practically dead. He looked like he was on the verge of collapsing to the ground in tiredness. Different than William who, despite being exceedingly sweaty, still looked firm and strong - and with the energy to play another hour. But also; when William wasn't in his' chemistry lab, he was playing badminton or fencing with his friends. So he clearly had an advantage in terms of resistance. But complaining wouldn't solve anything.
- Tired, little sister? - William teased, as he marked another point, turning the scoreboard into 20x18.

- Never - The brunette lied, her competitive side would never let her say yes - What about your partner? He seems to be uncomfortable with the current conditions.

-No...I'm alright...- Benedict stated panting like a tired dog. He looked like he was almost opening death's door.

- What about you Bridgerton? How do you feel about losing? - The second Whitmore son asked the Bridgerton oldest son, serving the shuttlecock, this way initiating another set.

- Just shut up and play the game, Whitmore! - Anthony snarled, sounding clearly irritated.

William just laughed at his friend's reaction. What he didn't expect is that with this distraction, Belle would hit the shuttlecock with all the strength in the world, giving another point to her team.

- Yes! - The hazel eyed girl commemorated , throwing her arms in the air with excitement

Anthony, when he saw that the shuttlecock had hit the ground, instantly opened a wide smile, and ran to his companion. Then he hugged her, lifted her and spun her around in the air, causing a wave of giggles to come out of her mouth.

- Don't get too happy, lovebirds. The game ain't over till it's over.

After Belle and Anthony tied the game, it looked as if the game had stalled at that point. Ten more minutes had passed and none of the teams managed to score the winning point.
Everyone had fire in their bellies, and they were extremely concentrated. That was, until a series of female screams changed such a situation.
- Belle! Belle!

Belle then grabbed the shuttlecock still in the air to signalize a pause in the match, before turning around to gaze the owner of the voice. William was not satisfied with the abrupt pause, so he exclaimed:
- What the hell, Belle?