Chapter 9

The boys weren't always so close to Belle. In the beginning, they rarely included her in their activities, simply because she was a girl. They thought that the majority of their activities such as fencing, hunting, hiking were men's things, so it wouldn't make any sense for her to join them. So, for a long long time, Anthony, Benedict, Nicholas and William were a party of four. There was no room for Belle in the table. Obviously that pissed her off on another level. She only managed to become a permanent member of this "society" four years ago, thanks to Edmund's incessant assistance in the matter.
     Five years ago, Anthony decided it would be nice for them to go on a hunt, accompanied by his' father of course. Then after the hunt, they would pass on the waterfall and make a picnic there. And everything that the fifteen-year-old Belle could do was watch while the four boys enthusiastically planned exactly what they were going to do. She was so jealous.
- Anthony, don't forget to grab a flask of water, after all we do not know how long the hunt will be -  Nicholas warned. Anthony then nodded, without even thinking. That left Belle astonished, after all Anthony didn't accept taking orders from anyone (nobody except his father, of course). Even though Anthony greatly admired the Whitmore first born, who was about six years older than him.
- Benedict, have you got the biscuits like I asked you?

Benedict then turned to his' older brother and bowed dramatically.
- Yes, your Majesty! - Benedict uttered, before sitting next to me in the couch

Finally, I managed to muster up the courage to ask:
- Can I go too?

William didn't even blink before replying:
- Absolutely not. Just boys today. Right, guys? - then he turned to Anthony for support - Anthony?

Anthony clearly hesitated.
- I'm sorry, Ma Belle - he replied.

For a second, maybe two, he stopped. And for a moment, Anthony really looked like he was sorry. Then he went back to do whatever he was going with that gun. Belle then turned my back on them and looked back to her needlework.
- That's so unfair.

- Oh, stop wining like a baby.

Benedict and Nicholas instantly started laughing, making the girl narrow her eyes at them.
- Shut up, William!

- Make me!

- Leave her alone  - Anthony fiercely interjected, making William look at him wide eyed. Why the hell was he defending her?

- What? - he asked, confused.

- You lot are so immature... - The Bridgerton first born continued, shaking his head - Just leave her alone.

They finished organizing all the paraphernalia and were getting ready to leave to the forest.
It was Belle's last chance to go in that adventure with them, to finally be part of that "society".
- I'll make you regret, William! - she abruptly snapped - For not letting me go.

- I'll like to see you try.

Without even looking at his' sister's face, William, along with Nicholas and Benedict left through the drawing room's door. Anthony was the only one who bothered to say goodbye:
- Have a good day, Ma Belle - Anthony called over his shoulder before following the other boys. He's so thoughtful.

But thank god that had changed. 2 years ago she became a permanent member of the group, thanks to her Godfather's help. He insisted and defended tooth and nail that Belle had the right to participate in any activity that boys would do. And thanks to that, Belle would be able to join the boys today in this fine day of hiking to the waterfall.
   The journey wasn't very fast, it took an hour to go and then an hour to come back. It could take a little longer and a or a little less longer, depending on the pace. But luckily it was an easy path to follow, without many obstacles and besides, it was mostly flat. But it was a little more difficult given the amount of things that had to be taken. Umbrellas (because that region had a tendency to rain, specially on summer), water, food, blankets, extra clothes and towels for them to dry off after a dip in the waterfall. A lighter and guns, reinforcement for the guns... But lucky for Belle, she had 3 men accompanying her, which meant that she didn't have to carry almost anything; just a tiny bag with her own belongings.