Chapter 18

- You know, hunting it's more about confidence than anything else. You decided that the stag was too large to shoot, before you even touched the trigger I'm afraid - Edmund Bridgerton said, as they approached the gardens of the Bridgerton Manor - But you'll learn. You'll learn in time.

- You make it sound so easy, father - Edmund's Son said, unsatisfied and shocked - Nothing ever rattles you, does it?

- Oh, I believe your mother would have quite a few things to say about that. After all, you do know that you cannot show someone your best without allowing them to see your worst.

Anthony nodded in agreement, before his' father started walking towards the flowerbed and saying:
- Speaking of which, she would adore those flowers.

Without suspecting what awaited him, Edmund bent down to pick a bouquet with a mixture of beautiful flowers for his' wife.

- They are quite lovely, are they not? - he asked, while he smelled the scent of a pair of hyacinths, his' favorite flowers.

- They really are. I think I'll take a bouquet to Belle too, to cheer her up. She had a tough headache last night - the Bridgerton heir said, as he bent down to pick some flowers for the ill girl

- What an excellent idea, son. I'm sure she will be most grateful for the surprise. But I think I'll get some for Daphne then too, as I'm sure she'll be jealous if we don't get her anything.

- Yes, good idea.

Edmund then decided to bent down again to pick some flowers to her eldest daughter. But suddenly, something that initially wasn't there, appeared. It was a bee. The 38 year old man at first even tried to ignore her, but it seemed like that insufferable creature followed his' hands wherever they went. So he decided to get up to try and shake the bee away from him.

- It's everything alright father?

Moving his hands non-stop to try to scare away the insect, Viscount Bridgerton answered:
- Yes, it's just this bloody bee!

And it was then that suddenly, the bee, cornered and frightened, launched its last act of defense. The sting was accurate; right in the neck.

- Father, is everything alright?

- The damn thing stung me - The landowner of Aubrey Hall then responded, with his left hand pressing the place where the bee had stung him.  That was before a suddenly sharp burning sensation erupted on the man's skin. He looked at his son with a mixture of surprise and pain, as his throat began to constrict, and breathing became increasingly difficult.

- Father what is it?

When the son looked at his father, he couldn't believe the scene in front of him. His father's once serene face was now filled with swelling, his eyes swollen to the point where they were barely open. His skin showed red spots and breathing became a battle, with labored breathing and ragged gasps; it was as if the air was becoming scarce.

​The son, desperate, tried to act quickly. He ran after his father, who had fallen, still not understanding what was happening with his' dad:
- Father, w-what is going on?

- I..can't - Edmund tried to talk, but the air that arrived was not enough to formulate a complete sentence.

The son then decided to scream desperately for help:
- Help!! Help someone!

After a few seconds of screaming, the image of Violet Bridgerton appeared at the door of the mansion, and as soon as she saw the scene, the 8-month pregnant woman ran towards her eldest son and her husband.

- Help!

- What happened?!

- I don't know, I don't know, I don't know! Was it a bee? A bee, I think!