Hotel Blanc

The sound of the reception bell echoed throughout the lobby, but no one seemed to appear at the reception desk. Where was everyone? Despite being built more than a century ago, the hotel was said to be the best in town.

"Hello?" Linda called.

"Yes, madam," said a voice.

Turning around, Linda came face to face with a man dressed in a formal black suit with white gloves.

"I'm looking for the receptionist," asked Linda. "Do you by any chance know where they are?"

"I can help you sort your room out," said the man as he quickly went behind the reception counter.

"Name?" inquired the man.

"Linda Thomas," replied Linda.

"Room twelve, Ms. Thomas," said the man, handing over the room key. "Do write your name in the guestbook."

Linda found a large book open on the reception table with numerous names written in it. She proceeded to write down her own name.

"Do call me Linda," said Linda as she finished writing her name in the guestbook.

"Certainly, Linda," said the man.

"May I know your name?" asked Linda.

"Albert," replied the man.

"And your position at the hotel is, Albert?" asked Linda.

"The butler," said Albert. "Let me take your bag up to your room."

Albert came out from behind the counter, took Linda's suitcase, and began walking over to the elevator.

"So, Albert, what is there to do around town?" inquired Linda.

"There is the beach opposite the hotel. It's better to wait until morning to go there; the night isn't a good time to swim. We'll have the 'Harvest Festival' starting from tomorrow downtown," answered Albert.

Albert and Linda were on the elevator and had reached the second floor. The doors of the elevator opened, and both stepped out into the hallway. Heading down the hallway, they came to room twelve.

Albert placed the suitcase down in front of the door before speaking, "I'll let you rest for the night. If you need anything, just call the reception on the phone."

"Thank you, Albert, and good night," said Linda.

Albert had turned around and was heading back the way he had come, towards the elevator. Linda waited for him to disappear out of sight before opening the room's door.

Upon entering the room, Linda found the furniture to be old-fashioned and vintage. She wasn't going to complain. She was glad to have a bed to sleep in for the night. Linda placed her suitcase beside the bed and went over to the window. She had the perfect view of the sea, which glistened in the moonlight. Linda opened the window slightly, allowing the cool night air inside.

After changing into her sleep clothes, Linda flopped onto the bed, but the excitement of the following day was keeping her awake. Linda surveyed the room, which was visible in the moonlight. There, on the opposite wall, was a painting of a woman. The more Linda stared at the painting, the more it seemed to resemble her. Linda soon drifted off to sleep.

'Crash' went a sound. Linda was sitting upright in the bed, clutching onto a pillow against her chest. She stepped into her slippers and opened the door.

"Hello? Anyone there?" Linda yelled.

With no response, Linda took the room keys, placing them in her pocket, and ventured into the hallway.

"My dear Isabella, you have returned to me," said a voice.

Up ahead in the hallway was a man dressed in a tuxedo with neatly combed dark brown hair.

"Isabella?" questioned Linda.

The man approached Linda.

"Do you not recognise me, Isabella?" said the man. "It is me, your beloved Theodor."

"Sorry, but I don't know anyone by the name Theodor," responded Linda.

"We were to wed, but you disappeared before our wedding," said Theodor. "You have now come back to reunite with me."

"You must be mistaking me for someone else," said Linda as she backed towards her room.

"You need to remember me, Isabella," said Theodor. "Hopefully, tomorrow you'll remember me."

Linda unlocked the door and stumbled inside, closing the door behind her. She had many questions, especially about who Isabella was. Switching on the light, she went up to the painting, examining it once more to find a name underneath: "My Beloved Isabella."

Linda was shocked. She had been mistaken as Isabella, a woman who resembled her. But one thing in the painting stood out. The woman in the painting was wearing Victorian-era clothing. Were the rumours of the hotel being home for ghosts searching for their unrequited love true? Linda brushed the thought off. All the traveling had made her weary. She would have an explanation in the morning from Albert.

Linda went back to sleep, trying not to worry about what had just happened. Instead, she imagined the day ahead. Her eyes slowly closed, and she was sound asleep, dreaming of the day that awaited her.

Morning couldn't have come any sooner. Linda was up early and down at the small hotel restaurant eating breakfast. As she finished her meal, she noticed Albert and waved to get his attention.

"I hope you've slept well, Linda," said Albert.

"You know, Albert, I've heard the hotel is haunted by ghosts," said Linda.

"That's quite silly, Linda," said Albert. "I've worked here for 228 years and I've never seen a single ghost in the hotel."

Linda stared at Albert, realising that he had said 228 years and not 28 years.

Linda played along to see if she had misheard Albert, "So tell me, how does one keep busy for 228 years?"

Albert responded, "With a hotel this big, there is plenty one can do to keep themselves busy."

"I'll see you later, Albert," said Linda.

Albert knew his cue to leave and silently departed from Linda. With Albert out of sight, Linda went to her room, packed her suitcase, and left the hotel, driving away in her car as fast as she could.