Chapter 5 - Shellington's apology

Shellington walked out of his lab and walked over to Kwazii's room, He hesitated for a moment what if Kwazii didn't forgive him?

Shellington let out a sigh and knocked "who goes there!" Kwazii enthused in typical pirate fashion "hi Kwazii... can we talk..." Shellington mumbled nervously.

"Yeah sure me hearty" Kwazii replied, opening its bedroom door and letting Shellington in.

"So what is it?" Kwazii mrrped as he sipped some cocoa "remember when I got really mad last night..." Shellington began "yeah matey. I know you didn't mean it. Trust me." Kwazii assured "how did you know?" Shellington asked, raising his eyebrow.

"Well I did some research on mermaids and I learned about how full moons make mermaids do or say things they normally wouldn't. I connected the dots in my head." Kwazii explained.

"Anyway, I came here to apologize. Peso told me about what happened and I felt terrible. I shouldn't have stared at the moon. I shouldn't have treated everyone like that. I'm sorry for starting this mess." Shellington breathed.

"Matey, trust me. You're fine. I've heard and seen worse. I know that it was completely out of your control!" Kwazii reassured "thanks Kwazii.." Shellington replied, walking out of Kwazii's room.

Shellington went down to the launch bay to look for Tweak, Tweak was nibbling on some carrots, Tunip beside her. Tweak noticed Shellington.

"Ya need something?" Tweak asked, turning to face him. "No actually..." Shellington answered "I wanted to apologize." Shellington added Tweak gave him a confused glance "Im sorry about what happened last night." Shellington clarified, Tweak stood there silently for a moment, collecting her thoughts.

Shellington stood there anxiously waiting for Tweak's answer "it's okay, I forgive you." she finally said, Shellington breathed a sigh of relief "what happened?" Tunip asked, running up to Shellington "I'll tell you about it later Tunip." Shellington retorted.

Shellington went upstairs

"Hey captain, hi Dashi. I'm sorry you had to see that.." Shellington "you're fine, we're very confused that's all." Barnacles stated "yeah" Dashi agreed.

Tunip had followed Shellington upstairs "come on Tunip, let's go." Shellington guided, Tunip following his lead.

"Why have you been apologizing to everyone?" Tunip asked, very confused by everything. "Well... you see last night I got moonstruck." Shellington began "I was acting strange and said some mean things that I normally wouldn't. Basically the full moon caused me to do weird things." Shellington continued .

"But I don't remember this happening before is this something new?" Tunip mumbled, shrugging his shoulders in confusion "yes, this is something new for me." Shellington answered seems like I have no choice but to tell him... Shellington thought nervously, Shellington took a deep breath.

"Tunip, I'm a merman." Shellington finally finished, Tunip let out a gasp of surprise and started jumping up and down and making happy vegimal noises.

Shellington pulled his son close, he was so lucky to have Tunip.

•••

Later the sun began to set, "come on Peso!" Shellington called in a cheerful tone, Peso running after him .

Shellington and Peso hopped into the launch bay tank "hey Tweak, can you please open the Octo-Hatch?" Shellington asked "you got that!" Tweak answered, opening the Octo-Hatch.

Peso and Shellington rose up to the surface, Shellington held Peso's flipper as he grasped some kelp, "can we sleep here tonight sea otter styles?" Shellington asked, glancing at his partner. Not expecting Peso to say yes.

"Sure" Peso mumbled softly as it buried its neck into Shellington's fur "I love you" Shellington whispered as the sun began to set, turning the waves mustard yellow, the skies hues of pink yellow and orange.

"I love you too, Shellington." Peso replied, the stars beginning to appear and shimmer "that one kind of looks like a cone snail!" Shellington pointed "yeah it does!" Peso agreed "and that one looks like Tunip!" Peso beamed.