Chapter 83 Extra (13)

At the end of the month, Li Hong, the Crown Prince of the Noble Qi, submitted his resignation. He had spent nearly half a year in the capital, and it was time for him to return to his estate.

The Marquis of Zhenping had official duties to attend to, so Master Xu personally saw off the Prince. In these last two days, the Minister of Justice suddenly claimed illness and stayed at home. Still, he decided to come out and see Li Hong off.

Second Lord waved his folding fan and pointed to the servants carrying two or three barrels of wine outside, saying

"I have no valuable possessions, only these few casks of wine. Take them back to honor your parents and elders."

Li Hong quickly bowed and said

"Uncle, you are too kind. These are valuable gifts, and I... I don't know how to thank you."

Master Xu laughed and said

"I wish you would empty our wine cellar and prevent your second uncle from drinking alone at home."

When Second Lord heard that Master Xu was about to give away his well-hidden wine, he widened his eyes and said anxiously

"Dear, You can't simply mean it..."

Li Hong watched as the two of them bantered with each other, though he found it amusing, a subtle sense of longing and admiration stirred within him. He couldn't help but wonder if, in the future, he would find someone like them, someone with whom he could share his daily life and concerns.

Lost in thought, he glanced towards the inner courtyard. When Shen Jingting noticed this, he said

"Jun'er status has changed, and it's not appropriate for her to come out and bid farewell to the Crown Prince. Please understand."

The Emperor had already designated Xu Yingluo as the future Crown Prince's concubine and sent an aunt from the palace to instruct them in proper etiquette. Not only did they need to adhere to strict rules regarding interactions between men and women, but Xu Yingluo's role as the future Crown Princess meant that their interactions couldn't be as casual as before.

As the time approached, Li Hong collected his thoughts and respectfully bowed to the two of them. He said, "The hour is not too late; it's time for Hong'er to take his leave."

The Crown Prince took a couple of steps forward, then suddenly heard a call from behind, "Gege Hong'er!"

Turning around, he saw Xu Baozhang running towards him. Yuan Yuan handed over a sachet, saying

"This is from Sister Jun'er for you. She also said, 'Please, Crown Prince, have a safe journey and take good care.'"

Li Hong bent down, took the sachet in his hand, and noticed the embroidered pattern-a large red peony on one side and two swimming koi on the other, undoubtedly the handiwork of that clever and mischievous girl. Li Hong's eyes grew slightly misty, and he carefully stored the sachet away.

He said to Xu Yuan Yuan

"Please tell Sister Jun'er that Hong'er also wishes her to take good care."

"Hmm!" After Yuan Yuan agreement, he ran back to his father. Second Lord picked up the child, and Yuan Yuan giggled, clinging tightly to his father's neck, refusing to let go.

Shen Jingting helplessly looked at this father and son. He then bowed to Li Hong and said

"Crown Prince, have a safe journey, and may we meet again."

Li Hong clutched the sachet, mounted his spirited horse, and with several boxes of valuable gifts, the group left the capital in a grand procession.

As they stepped out of the city gate, Li Hong seemed to sense something and turned to look back. His gaze crossed the vast sea of people and fixed on the majestic city gate. Apart from the guards stationed there, he saw a different figure.