Chapter 8

As I turned my gaze toward the figure, I didn't have time to see much before remembering the traditions and quickly returned my eyes downward.

The person took slow, measured steps, gradually approaching and casting a shadow over me. Then, I noticed a pair of leather boots, indicating that they were those of a military officer. After a few moments, a hand reached out, lifting the pearl curtain in front of my crown. Only at this moment did I dare to raise my eyes and get a clear look at the man standing before me.

I first noticed those eyebrows and eyes. The eyebrows were sharp and long, while the eyes were deep and profound, like a tranquil pond, softening the sharpness of those brows and adding an air of refinement. His nose was straight, his lips were thin, and his features were finely chiseled. No matter how you looked at him, he was a remarkably handsome and imposing man. He appeared to be a martial artist, tall and solemn, like a sheathed blade, making me seem small in comparison.

Xu Changfeng... his name suited him well.

As I looked at him, I could tell he was also looking at me. Then, he furrowed his brows slightly and took one of my hands in his own. His palm was broad, rough, and weathered.

"Your hand," he said at that moment, "is rather cold."

His voice was deep and resonant, unforgettable. I was typically not very articulate, and I wasn't sure how to respond. I just felt the warmth of his hand, gripping mine, which was cold. Inside, my heart felt barren and lost. Fortunately, the servants in the Xu household were astute and had quietly added charcoal to the brazier, filling the room with warmth and silence.

Xu Changfeng led me to the wedding table. In accordance with tradition, on the wedding night, the newlyweds were to partake in a cup of wine together, symbolizing the union of husband and wife, the sharing of both joys and sorrows. We occupied seats facing each other. I reached for the wine pitcher, but my anxiety caused a slight tremor in my hands, resulting in a small spill as I poured. Without uttering a word, he gently took the pitcher from my grasp and expertly filled our cups.

As I raised the cup, in that instant, another fleeting figure momentarily passed through my field of vision. Before I could comprehend the situation, another man's hand encircled mine. He was in close proximity, and I observed his long, feather-like eyelashes and his gaze, cast downward, akin to that of a hawk. Strangely, I detected an indescribable weariness within him.

I took a sip of the wine, feeling its warmth course through me, jolting me back to reality. From this point forward, despite being a man, I had become the wife of another man.

A servant approached and assisted in the removal of my wedding attire and phoenix crown, leaving me clad in only a single-layered garment beneath. Another servant presented a tray, and Xu Changfeng took hold of a pair of scissors. This marked the "cutting ceremony," wherein the new husband would sever the bonds of the wife's garment before consummation, symbolizing that the concubine wife would disrobe solely for her husband. These ties were indelible knots, and once severed, they couldn't be reattached.

I lowered my eyes, watching the scissors approach my chest. There were a total of five knots from top to bottom, and one by one, they were cut open. He handed the scissors to a servant and said, "All of you may leave."

With the room enveloped in varying degrees of candlelight, his hand reached out, and as the door closed, my final garment fell to the floor, leaving only the thin undergarment.

I kept my eyes lowered, gazing at the floor, and my toes curled silently. After what felt like an eternity, I heard his resonant voice from above, "Go to the bed."

I slowly made my way to the bed, taking my time before lying on the vivid scarlet sheets.
I didn't dare to meet his gaze, merely hearing the rustle of fabric being undone. My hands clung tightly to the sheets. At that very moment, it felt as if I stood on the precipice of uncertainty, unsure whether it was fear or apprehension coursing through me.