Chapter 75 Extra (5)

Having made up his mind, the Master of the House didn't waste any time and put aside his household matters to focus entirely on finding a suitable match for his eldest daughter.

Now, the Xu family had emerged from the shadows, and their standing in the court seemed to be even more prominent than before. When the news of the Xu family's intention to marry their daughter spread, matchmakers flocked to their doorstep, making Shen Jingting busier than ever.

It seemed that as soon as one left, another arrived, leaving him with hardly any time to catch his breath.

On this particular day, just after Shen Jingting had seen off the matchmaker for the second son of the Prime Minister, the Chief Steward of the Xu family approached. It appeared that he had something to say which wasn't meant for others to hear. Shen Jingting looked up from his desk and said, "Speak, it's fine."

The Chief Steward, Zhang Yuan, began, "It's an invitation from Lord Shen, the Minister of Ceremonies."

Upon hearing that, Shen Jingting furrowed his brows.

The Minister of Ceremonies, Lord Shen, was his eldest uncle. When Shen Jingting first married into the Xu family, the Shen and Xu families had little interaction, especially during the Xu family's troubled times.

The Shen family, in particular, had distanced themselves from both the Xie and Xu families in court. It was understandable given the circumstances.

Xu Changfeng had attained a noble title, and Xu Yanqing had risen from the position of an Assistant Minister of Justice to the esteemed rank of Grand Secretary, it was only after these achievements that the Shen family started showing interest.

This newfound attention was particularly evident during festivals and special occasions where they would send gifts at Xu manor. It was quite the contrast to the past when Shen Jingting had been considered insignificant to the Shen family.

Back then, the Eldest Madam of the Shen family agreed to the Yu family's absurd marriage proposal and let the legitimate Eldest son who was 'Chang ren' share a 'kao' wife alongside with the 'xie' brothers. While this brought considerable advantages to the Shen family during marriage negotiations, it had a hand in the sorrowful death of his half sister and his mother.

Despite the unexpected circumstances, the deal turned out to be highly beneficial for the Shen family, and they hadn't shown the slightest sympathy for him at the time.

Shen Jingting regarded them with disdain and felt that the family had profited at their expense due to the marriage. Even though this situation had unfolded unexpectedly, it remained a lingering source of anguish in Shen Jingting's heart through the passing years. Consequently, he had unequivocally distanced himself from his own kin.

Despite the audacity of the Shen family sending a Steward to the Xu residence, Shen Jingting, as the head of the Xu family, couldn't simply throw them out. He calmly inquired

"They have come all this way. Is there something they wish to discuss?"

Zhang Yuan, however, appeared hesitant and stammered, "I inquired, and it seems the lord has heard about the Xu family's intentions for Miss Xu. They wish to arrange a marriage for her, potentially with Shen San, lord's third son."

Upon hearing this, Shen Jingting paused his writing and uttered, "Based on him?" Although his tone remained calm, a subtle chill crept in.

Zhang Yuan couldn't help but feel that the Shen family's request was quite presumptuous. They might have thought that the Marquis of Zhenping didn't value his own daughter, Miss Xu, as much as the son born to the primary wife.

They might have also assumed that Shen Jingting saw the ex wife's daughter as a thorn in his side. These misguided thoughts led to the bizarre notion of seeking a closer connection with the Xu family.

Shen Jingting was well aware of the Shen family's scheme in the capital. Over the years, the Shen family had taken advantage of his standing within the Xu family, using the Xu name for their own gain. He had tried to put them in their place, expecting them to restrain their ambitions. Yet, they hadn't stayed quiet for long and were now attempting to entangle his own adopted daughter, Xu Yingluo, in their grandiose plans.

"In that case" Zhang Yuan said, "allow me to decline on behalf of Master"

However, Shen Jingting halted him, saying, "No need. Let him wait." Standing up, he walked with hands behind his back, remarking, "I appreciate them coming in person to propose for my daughter. The Xu family can afford this humble offering of tea."

Zhang Yuan quickly grasped Shen Jingting's intention - to keep the Shen family waiting in suspense. Whether or not they would meet depended on the Master's mood.

Despite delivering a reprimand, Shen Jingting felt a lingering discomfort. Opting to avoid further guests, he turned and walked towards the elegant building, only to find that he was a step too late-the study had already been occupied by another.

Amidst the picturesque garden pavilions, with petals resembling jade, a man strolled through, lifting the pearl curtains as he entered.

The breathtaking scenery was like a painting, and at the center of it all, a man sat at a table, engrossed in his painting. His eyebrows resembled distant mountains, and his starry eyes shone brightly. Even his appearance alone was exceptional, but it was his attire in crimson robes and casually tied back hair with a ribbon that exuded an extraordinary air. No wonder the emperor had once jokingly said, apart from Minister Xu, there might be no man in the world more suitable for the fiery red color.

Holding a brush in hand, he painted with deep concentration. With a casual stroke, he created a masterpiece on the paper, depicting galloping horses with a single flourish.

Xu Yanqing, the current Minister of Justice, had once been the accomplished scholar laureate. In his youth, he had been a dashing figure in the city, with talents in music, chess, literature, and painting. During that time, he had been the center of attention, causing a sensation with his horseback rides through the city while admiring maidens threw flowers and fruits in his path.

Time had swiftly passed, and years had mellowed his spirit. In court, he was a stern and upright minister, but when he returned home from his official duties, he found solace in the world of art and literature, nurturing his inner self.

As Shen Jingting entered the room, Second Lord sighed and calmly said "My dear, your steps are hurried, and your expression is serious. I'm curious to know which misguided fellow has displeased my beloved."