Chapter 78 Extra (8)

After Xu Changfeng returned, he wore a stern expression, and no matter how Shen Jingting inquired, he remained tight-lipped.

"If you don't want to talk about it, that's fine"
Shen Jingting had some lotus root soup prepared and gently said "Have a bowl of soup to cool down."

This man had always been one to respond to gentleness rather than harshness, so Shen Jingting had Yuan Yuan brought over.

The doll-like child, adorned with pink bracelets, ran joyfully towards his father upon seeing him, clamoring for him to pick him up.

Shen Jingting noticed there were still sugar residues on the child's lips and used his sleeve to wipe them off, saying "You're such a sweet tooth. In the future, Third Father might not be able to carry you anymore."

Yuan Yuan said, "Yuan'er not afraid. It's Third Father who took Yuan'er to buy the candied fruits." Then he tilted his head, looking at Xu Changfeng, and asked "Who made father angry?"

Yuan Yuan had always been sensitive and understanding. Sensing that his father's face looked different, he said sweetly "father, don't get angry. If you get sick, there won't be anyone to practice sword with Yuan'er."

Despite Xu Changfeng's previous anger, he had cooled off by now. He said, "Alright, father is not angry. Let's practice sword together. Do you remember what you learned earlier?"

"Yep" Xu Changfeng put the child down, and Yuan Yuan vigorously nodded. Even his serious face held a hint of a smile. "You go ahead first, and father will join you later."

As Yuan Yuan obediently ran outside, Xu Changfeng watched his child's figure leaving and let out a long sigh.

Shen Jingting saw him like this and had a faint suspicion, so he reached out and held the man's hand beneath his sleeve. Xu Changfeng remained silent but gently returned the grasp.

Meanwhile, the Lords of the Xu family had their own thoughts, and there was one lord who had been quite content and carefree lately.

The bright moon hung high in the night sky as the Li Hong returned to the Xu mansion. He strolled through the long corridor with a joyful gait, humming a tune. When he reached the door of his guest room, the Li Hong waved to his servants, saying "You all go rest now." The servants turned to leave, but the young man called them back, "Wait, come back."

He took a pouch from his pocket and distributed its contents to them, saying, "I can't finish this by myself, so take it back and enjoy." The servants thanked him and accepted the pouches with gratitude.

Li Hong happily closed the door and turned, only to find the room was lit. He exclaimed, "Huh" walked over to investigate, and when he saw no one inside, he was puzzled. Suddenly, someone tapped him from behind. Startled, he turned around and saw Xu Yingluo standing behind him, smiling at him.

"Xu Yingluo, are you trying to scare me on purpose!" Xu Yingluo chuckled and sat down with Li Hong. After pouring himself some tea and taking a sip, Li Hong patted his chest, feeling a bit relieved.

"Tell me, why did you come back so late, and were you hanging out with your friend Xie gege again?"

A while ago, Li Hong had met someone in the capital, who claimed to be surnamed Xie and was a merchant with some family wealth. He was generous and took Li Hong around the city every day for fun.

"What Xie Gege, can't you speak properly?"

Despite his words, the Prince couldn't hide his smile. "Today, Brother Xie invited me for a drink. It seems he was a bit troubled, so I ended up staying late with him."