Chapter 1

Friday was normally Mia's favorite workday, but today it had been a day from hell. She overslept, her coffee maker did not work, when she stepped into the office, she was greeted by three people all having issues, and the issues kept coming, causing her to work until 7:30. She wanted to go home and crawl in bed, but she still had to go to the birthday party for her best friend, Jade's mom. The only good thing about the party is that the food will be good.

Parking was a hassle, because there were so many people at the party, but Mia finally found a spot, grabbed her gift and headed to the front door. She did not knock; she just entered and found the large living room full of people. She put her gift down on the gift table and started making her way to the kitchen, but before she could get to the kitchen, she was stopped by Jade's younger brother Adam. She hugged him and they chatted for a few minutes, and then they went into the kitchen together. The food was laid out on the island and dining room table. Mia took a plate and put a few things on it but was tired enough not to be hungry.

After eating she began looking for Jade's parents Angie and Tim, and soon she spotted them in the backyard talking to Jade and a man she did not know. Mia approached them, and Angie said, "Oh our favorite daughter has arrived." Jade snorted and said, "Mom I am your only daughter." Tim laughed and said, "But Mia is so much nicer to us, she never asks for anything." Mia hugged Jade and said, "You know you are their favorite, just ask Nate or Adam. I am just around to keep you on your toes." Jade laughed and said, "Mia I would like to introduce you to Grant Mason, he is mom and dad's newest neighbor, he moved into the Waldron's house." Mia nodded to him but did not say anything. But it was hard for Mia not to notice his bright blue eyes, handsome face and rock-hard body. Jade continued and said, "Grant, this is my best friend, Mia Taylor." Grant nodded as well, but before he could say anything Tim said, "Mia can you come by tomorrow so we can discuss some changes I want to make in my investments. I need to know the tax implications?" Mia nodded and said she could come by sometime tomorrow.

Then Mia said, "I am going to leave y'all now, Angie you don't look a day over forty." Tim smiled and she hugged Angie and Jade said, "She is right mom you do look young; you better have passed those genes on to me." Mia turned to walk away, and Jade walked beside her, once out of earshot of her parents Mia asked, "Where is Jasmine?" Jade smiled and said, "She was here earlier and helped us set up, but she has to cover closing at the shop tonight." Jade asked, "What did you think of Grant?" Mia shrugged and said, "He is good looking why?" Jade laughed and said, "He is a Dom. Jasmine and I know him from the club." Mia looked over her shoulder at him and saw him staring at her with an intense stare. Mia shrugged and said, "I have given up finding Dom. I have looked for two years and found only jerks and assholes."

Jade hugged Mia and said, "I know there is someone out there for you. Jason thinks so too." Mia looked at her and said, "Just because you and Jason found the prefect one for you, does not mean I will get so lucky. Look at Wyatt, I thought he was great until I found out his lied about being married and he had three kids." Jade snorted and said, "He was a jerk, forget about him. There are still good ones left, you just must search a little." Mia shrugged and then she and Jade made the rounds through the house greeting and chatting with family and friends. Since Mia had lived with the Pearsons for several months after she turned eighteen, she knew most of the people at the party.

After making the rounds Nate came by and asked, "Do y'all want to go out with us to the Purple Room?" Both girls declined and Mia promised to go out with them sometime soon, but she just wanted to go home and go to bed. After working the room, and then saying goodbye to Angie and Tim, Mia tried to leave but was stopped by Adam who begged her to go out with the group, saying that only she and Jade liked to dance, and he wanted to dance. Jade agreed and twisted Mia's arm into going. Jade convinced Mia to ride with her, saying the parking would be bad and the fewer cars the better.