Chapter 33

Both Grant and Mia were up and out on time Friday morning, only stopping to make coffee. Once at the office Mia talked to Rebecca first thing and let her know she would not need the day off for the funeral. Rebecca asked for the time and place of the service and Mia gave her the details. She had plenty to keep busy during the day, but she found herself having trouble concentrating. At about three o'clock she told Rebecca she was leaving because she was not getting anything accomplished. Rebecca understood and told Mia to try and get some rest.

Mia called Grant to tell him she was leaving early, and he told her he was already home, and his parents were there as well. When she walked into the kitchen, she found Grace and Matt at the stove, with Gavin sitting at the island. After saying hello to everyone she asked where Grant and Glenn were and was told they were showering. Mia said she was going to head into the bedroom so she could shower next but checked that they did not need anything. When they confirmed they were good, she headed to the bedroom.

She could hear the shower still running so she went into the bathroom and stripped off her work clothes and joined Grant. After a few hot kisses, Grant said he needed to get out so he could help his mom and Matt. Mia smiled and said she would be out shortly, but she would not get dressed to leave until after dinner. Grant nodded and said he would do the same. When she finished with her shower, she braided her hair, put on a touch of makeup and then dressed in leggings and a t-shirt, making sure to put on the bra and panties she would be wearing later. 

When she joined those in the kitchen, she found Gabe had also arrived. He hugged her and asked, "Do you think I should go to the viewing and funeral?" Mia thought for a moment and said, "I would say you could go to the funeral to pay your respects; it is a more formal environment, which means Tabitha does not have to talk to you one on one if she does not want to do so." Gabe nodded and said, "That is what mom said too, but I wanted your opinion."  Grace was not in the kitchen, so Mia figured she was showering, she asked if there was anything she could do, but Matt laughed and said, "Believe it or not I have it under control. Grace brought a turkey she cooked yesterday and then deboned and we made mashed potatoes, green beans and a salad. 

Mia was impressed, and as soon as Grace was back, they all filled their plates and headed to the dining room. The conversation was subdued, but Gavin could not help himself, he had to make a few jokes, saying he did not want to see everyone sad. When they finished eating, Gabe said he would clean the kitchen while everyone else got dressed. Gavin and Matt said they would go home and change and then meet everyone at the funeral home. 

Soon Mia and Grant were in the car and on their way to the funeral home.  Once in the parking lot Mia got nervous and Grant immediately recognize it and said, "At any time tonight if you want to leave, just give me a sign and I will get you out of there with no muss no fuss." Mia nodded and said, "Ok, waiting in the car is not going to make it any better or easier, so let's go."

Inside Mia spotted Angie, Tim and Jade to one side talking to some people she did not know, she saw Tinsley and Tabitha at the front of the room on the left, her father and Trevor and his fiancée at the front on the right, but she did not see Thad.  Grant asked her where she wanted to go and she said, "Lets go see Dad and Trevor and get that done." So, he walked her through the crowd to where her father and brother were standing. When they got up next to them her father reached out and took her hands and said, "Thank you for coming." Mia nodded and then he moved in a little closer and said, "Would it be alright if I hugged you?" Mia saw the sadness in his eyes and nodded her consent and he hugged her for a moment. 

Mia moved to Trevor next, and he simply gave her a short hug and whispered, "Thank you." Mia nodded and then shook hands with Madison, Trevor's fiancee. They moved away and walked by the pictures, Grant stopping when he spotted a couple with Mia in them. Mia was very surprised but smiled. They then walked over to Tinsley and Tabitha, both of whom nodded but did not say anything. Grant said, "We are sorry for your loss." Tinsley nodded and said, "Thank you." Mia offered her hand to shake theirs and was surprised when Tinsley hugged her but did not resist. Tabitha simply shook her hand.