Chapter 41: For Now

Ria stared at Gin as he slept on Captain Zalez's bed. She held his hand tight and kept him warm.

Sam had rushed to heal Gin's wound, but he had lost too much blood, and they feared the worst. But he made it through the night and was now breathing steadily. Still, she stared at every rise and fall of his chest as if looking away would make those movements stop as if her gaze was powering his lungs to breathe.

She had whispered her apologies to him throughout the night. If it weren't for her, this would not have happened. And now, Migal was gone, too. Her childhood friend betrayed him, taking the documents and leaving Gin to die.

She'd thought so hard of any signs that Migal was that kind of person. They grew up together. They knew each other. Or she thought she knew him. All those years of friendship she simply threw away like it was nothing because of some petty jealousy--some romance that might not even be.

How could Migal do such a thing?

Ria's only solace now was knowing that Gin was alive. She sensed him with her psychestringere. He was in pain but also at peace. That was how most people were where they were asleep, as if they were in a place where the troubles of the world couldn't touch them.

She felt Gin squeeze her hand, and she straightened in her chair, watching as his eyes fluttered open. The brown in his irises were darker than ever.

"Gin?" she whispered, kissing his cheek.

"Ria?" He looked at her face. "You're here." There was disbelief in his voice.

She nodded, squeezing his hand to assure him. "I'm here, and you're alright."

Gin fully opened his eyes and touched his chest, wincing at the pain.

"I'll call Sam." Ria started to get up.

"No," Gin stopped her, pulling her down. "Stay."

Ria nodded and settled back in her seat.

"Did Migal get away?" he asked.

"He did," Ria whispered.

"I'm so sorry, Ria."

"No," Ria said, shaking her head. Tears blurred her eyes for the friend she had lost. "It wasn't your fault. If I hadn't broken his heart, he wouldn't have done what he did."

"That wasn't your fault either. He was just a rotten eel. What is he going to do with those documents anyway?" Gin turned his shoulder toward her.

"I think I know," Ria said.

"I think I know, too," Gin replied.

"You do?"

He shrugged. "Most likely to wipe his bottom with." He grinned.

Ria let out a laugh and gently smacked his shoulder.

"Ouch!"

"Oh, sorry!" Ria's cheeks heated.

"Alright. Tell me what he's going to do," Gin insisted.

"During the war ten years ago, when my adopted father overthrew his brother. Migals' family supported the opposing side. Migal had been a child then, sworn to serve my father. His own family was exiled outside the Draga Isles while he stayed in the palace with us after the war."

Gin blew a whistle. "That's something. So, now you think Migal is on his way to his family with those documents. The proof that your brother is not a blood heir. That could start a civil war."

"I don't know if he's been in touch with his family while he stayed in Sivona." Ria shook her head and lowered her gaze as if ashamed. "I don't know if he's been planning this all along or just thought of it out of anger."

"What do you plan to do now?" Gin asked.

"We'll have to face my brother's wrath first. He's not going to like that I stowed away," Ria said. A smile tugged at her lips.

"The crew will have to face the same thing. We kind of promised that we would always deliver. Mostly we do, but this was just a huge wave that crashed on us, breaking our hull and sinking us into the depths of the sea mother's ocean." He shrugged. "Maybe we can ask for an extension."

Ria let out a laugh. "My brother is not without mercy. He's not going to chop your heads off for this."

"He certainly wanted to when he received your hand as a gift from Enzo," Gin noted. "But he didn't. So I'll hold you to that." he stared at her, emanating admiration. "I'm glad you're here."

Ria pressed a kiss on his lips. "I'm glad, too." She smiled though she knew there would be more troubles ahead, and their happiness now may not last long.

They would travel back to Sivona and tell her brother what happened and figure out what was next. For now, she tried to enjoy Gin's company while they were free to be together.