Chapter 30: The Valuable Item

A sack covered Ria's head. Its sour smell stuffed her nose, making her want to vomit. But her fear had kept her meal down, as did her breath and her heart. All she could see was the sheen of light from forcing its way through the sack. Shadows moved around her as she was hauled by her arms, dragging her to move and carrying her onto an automobile. The engine hummed, gears loudly cranked as she was flanked and bore down at both her sides.

She wanted to cry and scream for help, but a blade pressed to her side under her ribs.

"Be quiet," said a female voice in her ear. She felt another blade slice the leather strap that slung over her shoulder. They'd taken the chest from her and the documents with it.

All she could do was whimper, trying to swallow her fear and think of how to escape this. Gin's words rang in her mind, It's alright. She held those words in her heart to keep calm.

It's alright. It's alright, she thought as her hands were bound.

It's alright. It's alright. As the automobile stopped. Hands heaved her out.

It's alright. It's alright. As they dragged her up a ramp. But when she felt the sway beneath her feet, the thought of being taken away--too far away--caused her to panic.

"Let me go!" she started to scream. "Help!" But she was already on the ship. Hands picked her up and lifted her from her feet, then tossed her into a room, landing on her back. She heard a door lock close, and she struggled to sit up, shaking her head to remove

She backed up to a corner and looked around for a way to escape. The room was dark, with little light coming from the cracks of the door and the sides of the curtained window. A desk with a seat was pushed to one corner, and a mattress rested beside it. She guessed she was in the captain's quarters of the ship.

Ria's heart hammered in her chest, tears filling her eyes, her lungs climbing up her throat. She trembled. It's alright, she thought of those words again, but the power in them was now lost, consumed by the fear that devoured her.

When she heard footsteps from behind the door, she pressed her back harder to the corner and held her breath. A man with a scar across his lips came in, followed by Enzo, Mari, and Reynar.

At the sight of Mari and Reynar, Ria's heart flipped. A hope flashed in her, thinking they were her friends and would help her. But a louder voice stomped on the whisper, telling her they were with Enzo. And she shrunk even more to the corner, trying to find sanctuary.

"This is the girl?" the man with the scar on his lips asked, staring at Ria. His face was dark, and his eyes were even darker.

"Tha's her, captain," Enzo said, scratching at the nick on his brow.

Ria bared her teeth at them. "Where are the documents?" She was surprised to find a fight in herself despite her voice shaking. And she used her psychestringere to strike fear in Enzo.

She stared at him. All her rage diverted into her power, digging up all the horrors in his heart. Enzo pressed a hand in his chest and started to wheeze. He trembled.

"Enzo?" Mari asked, trying to reach a hand to him, but he stepped away and turned to run out the door.

"What in the blue oceans--?" The man with the scar stared at the open door.

Ria then looked to Reynar, who was staring at her. Her psychestringere flowed to him, pity gripping his heart and mind.

Reynar stepped up to Ria and reached for her bonded hands. But before he could touch them, the man with the scar grabbed his wrist.

"What are you doing?" the man asked.

"She needs help," Reynar said, blinking his blue eyes.

"Please, help me." Ria focused her stringere on Reynar.

"Reynar?" Mari came closer to them.

Reynar tugged his arm free from the man, reaching for Ria's bonds again.

"Reynar, stop!" Mari grabbed his shoulder.

"Grab that sack!" Enzo returned to the room.

Ria startled and released Reynar, who stepped back, shaking his head, confused.

Mari bent down and took the sack that had covered Ria's head from the floor.

"Please, no." Ria looked at Mari and used her psychestringere, making the girl drop the sack. But Enzo quickly caught it, and he covered her head before Ria could turn to him. Her power became useless.

"Sea mother! What was that?" Mari cursed.

"She's a psychesi!" Enzo growled.

"So she's controlling our emotions?" Reynar asked.

Ria didn't hear an answer. She pressed her back against a wall again. And she heard steps come toward her.

Enzo spoke so close in front of her. "I've got your documents."

"Then why are you still keeping me?" Ria whimpered. Her earlier courage turned back to fear. Thoughts of all the worst things that could happen to her rushed into her head. And she remembered what he said when they were in Basiago--to breed her like a pet, an animal, and make more psychesi.

"Ya know why, guppy. Or should I say, princess? You' just as valuable as the documents. I got loads o' possible buyers for you. We'll make a lot o' money outa' you."

Ria kicked out and hit something soft, maybe his stomach. She heard Enzo groan in pain and curse. She pressed herself harder back to the corner. "My brother will come for me," she threatened. She heard someone spit, very likely Enzo.

"He's not going to come," Enzo said. "Unless he wants you dead." There was a moment of silence before someone spoke again.

"Cut off her hand." It was the voice of the man with the scar on his lips.

"What?" Reynar sounded astounded.

"We'll just send the king a little present so he wouldn't dare to look for his sister," the man--very likely the captain of the ship they were on--said.

"But--" Reynar started, but the protest didn't continue.

"Mari," Enzo spoke. "Hold her."

There was silence for a moment. Hesitation. Ria hoped that Reynar and Mari would disagree, but when a scuffling sound came, her heart dropped, and her breath jumped to her throat. "No, please," she begged.

Hands grabbed her by the shoulders as she struggled and screamed.