Holiday Break - 154

Draco

It was the final day of winter break, and the Dark Lord had not yet called for me. I spent the entire time on edge, constantly waiting for him to summon me. It did nothing for my nerves, though I suspect that the mental torture might have been intentional.

I didn't talk about it. No sense in subjugating my mother or Aphrodite to senseless ramblings of my worries and fears. This burden was mine. I had to be strong for them. 

And I'm certain they carried their own anxieties on the issue. Nearly the second that we entered Malfoy Manor, Aphry began wringing her hands more. And she'd had a couple of nightmares that had her screaming, bolting me awake from across the hall. Daphne said she'd been sleeping alright at school when I asked, so it must have been the increased exposure to the other Death Eaters and the reminder of the current state of the Wizarding World.

When the Dark Lord finally called me, it was in the early morning, mere hours before we headed on the train back to school.

Aunt Bella woke me, pounding on my bedroom door. "Dracoooooo," she shouted in a sing-song voice, ensuring me I would wake no matter how deeply I was sleeping.

I bounded from my bed, grabbing the emerald dressing gown at the edge of the bed and throwing it on as I made it to the door. I opened the door. "What is it?" I asked with a short, sharp tone that highlighted my irritation. I already had a fearful suspicion of the reason, though.

She lifted her chin proudly and her brow raised. "Mind your attitude. I won't tolerate disrespect, and I won't go soft on you just because you've got Black blood flowing through your veins." I didn't respond to her, merely staring at her in exhausted silence. Across the corridor, Aphry's door clicked open. She looked out through the cracked door with bleary, sleepy eyes. She must have been sleeping well until the commotion woke her.

"He wants to see you," Bellatrix responded. "Both of you. Down in the drawing room." Without another word, the witch walked off down the corridor.

Aphry's eyes widened as she opened her door. She was definitely awake now as she stepped into the corridor. Silently, I held out my hand to her, squeezing it in an attempt to comfort her. Then we headed downstairs.

Mother and William were already in the drawing room when we got there, also in their dressing robes. They a several feet apart from each other, both wearing solemn expressions. Aphry moved to stand between them.

"Draco," the Dark Lord hissed so smoothly I wondered if it was parseltongue. He stood in the center of the seating area in front of the mantel Aphry would floo in through when she visited. I forced the memories away through occlumency, along with the hope those weren't the last happy memories I'd had in this room and these weren't our last moments.

I made my way in front of him, bowing solemnly.

"It is obvious you have not completed your task," he said, contempt in his tone. "What is taking so long?"

A short exhale came out of me before speaking. "I have a plan. It's just taking longer than I initially hoped to execute, but it is coming along."

He seemed displeased by my answer, sneering. "I'm certain you are aware, Draco, I have no tolerance for failure."

"Of course," I responded flatly, avoiding showing any emotion or looking him in the eye.

"And you remember the consequence, should you fail?"

"Yes, sir," I responded, unwavering.

He still seemed unsatisfied with the answer, moving closer in front of me. "Good. Draco, you are currently carrying out the most important task of all my Death Eaters. Dumbledore's death is crucial to my success. I've thought extensively about this task, and how I will execute your family should you fail."