Aphry - 4

"It's true then. What they're saying on the train? Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

I should have known the trouble would start the very moment that Professor McGonagall turned around.  I'd noticed Draco lock eyes on Harry while she was speaking. I considered moving from my spot behind him, but I was stuck behind him and in front of Crabbe and Goyle.

"This Crabbe, Goyle, and Aphrodite," Draco said, nodding to each of us as he said our names.

Harry gave a slight nod and smile. "Hi again, Aphry."

I gave a small smile back. The blonde boy turned and glared at me, but just as soon turned back to Harry. "And I'm Malfoy." He moved to stand in front of Harry, "Draco Malfoy."

I heard a slight snicker and noticed Ron standing beside Harry.

Draco shot a glare at Ron. "Think my names funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red Hair. And a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley."

A small, frustrated sigh escaped from me.

"You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort." He looked at Ron, then back to Harry. "I can help you there."

Draco offered his hand to Harry.

Harry looked at his hand, then looked back at Draco with his eyes cut.  "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks."

I watched as Draco's eye furrowed at Harry, but he didn't have much time to respond since McGonagall had come behind him and tapped his shoulder with a roll of parchment. Looking back at McGonagall, then giving a final glare at Harry, he moved back to his spot in front of me.

McGonagall's eyes followed Draco, then made eye contact with me for a second, before looking around and addressing the entire first-year class. "We're ready for you now. Follow me."

We all followed her toward the large doors to the great hall, which opened themselves, and into the great hall. I silently took everything in the bewitched ceiling, levitating candles, and tables lined with older students.

Professor McGonagall took the couple steps to stand next to the sorting hat. "Now, before we begin," she said, "Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

Professor Dumbledore stood from his seat. "I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first-years, please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."

I almost felt my eyes bug out of my head, as I turned my head to Draco. Someone could potentially die at this school, and I have inherited the task of preventing a student from getting hurt or dying?

My blonde friend, however, was more than amused at my expression. "Scared, Aphry?" he said, with a quirked smile and a slight chuckle.

"Now when I call your name," Professor McGonagall said, pulling my attention back to the sorting ceremony. "You will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head... And you will be sorted into your houses."

The professor called the first student to be sorted. As student by student got sorted, I wondered, as I had multiple times before, what house I might be in. I thought about Draco, and how I was intended to assist him. Could I do that in a separate house from him? Despite what my father said weeks ago, I knew Draco was destined for Slytherin...

"Cytheria, Aphrodite."

I took a deep breath and took my turn on the stool. The hat was lowered down onto my head.

"Ah, another Cytheria." the hat said in my head. "Where to put you? Where. to. put. you... Do you have a Malfoy along with you?" I looked at Draco. "Ah, of course. That's to be taken into consideration... There's a duality to you. You would do well in Ravenclaw, but there's also...."

"SLYTHERIN!" The hat announced, finishing his thought aloud. I heard the table to my far right cheer loudly. As the hat was removed from my head, I locked eyes with Draco, who was smiling with a look of pride in his eyes.

Once everyone was sorted and we ate to our hearts' content, a Slytherin prefect came to guide us to the common room. We were led to the dungeons, the prefect telling us where in the stone walls the entrance was and the password. We entered the large common room and were told where our rooms dorms were before he left us to our own devices.

"So Aphrodite," Draco said as we sat together in a far corner of the common room before heading to bed. I could already tell by the tone of his voice that I didn't like where this conversation was headed. He sat deep in the chair opposite me, fooling with a trinket he found on the nearby desk. "Told Potter to call you Aphry, huh?" He spat the name Potter out as if it tasted like poison.

I hesitated for a moment, confused where he was leading the conversation. "I mean I've been called Aphry for most of my life. Aphrodite's kind of a mouth full...."

"I've always called you Aphry. As far as I know, I'm the only one who has." 

He was right, but it wasn't an issue that I was willing to back down on. "It's my name, Draco," I rebutted. "I'll do with it what I wish."

I watched his eyes darken. He hesitated a moment as he played with the bauble in his hands. "At least you're in Slytherin," He looked at me with a glare, but there was a playful glint in them now. "Might've had to cut you off if you'd made Gryffindor."

I laughed, "You wouldn't, Draco Malfoy. I don't think you could ever cut me off."

"Oh I don't know," he teased further. "Let's just be glad you don't have to find out."

I shook my head, standing. "We should probably get to bed. I don't want to be caught sleeping our first day of classes."

He stood as well. "Goodnight, Aphry."

I wrapped him in a quick hug, as I had most nights that I spent under the same roof as him. "Goodnight, Draco."