Burdened - 153

Draco

My guard was high as Severus Snape dragged me down the corridor by the collar of my suit. Despite how well I've been able to master occlumency, my anger always seemed to remain. I had been teeming with it since that stupid squib caught me trying to get into the Room of Requirement. Especially since we were leaving tomorrow for winter break. Tonight was my last chance to make any significant progress before returning home and the Dark Lord who likely expected a report. 

At the end of the hall, Snape pulled me into a classroom and then released me from his grip on my clothes. We stood there, glaring at each other contemptuously for a moment. As soon as I began to wonder why, Aphry slipped in from the door he left just slightly cracked. He knew she would follow after us.

Once the door was securely shut, he started his interrogation. First, he started with the Bell Girl incident. I fervently denied any involvement and called him out when he tried to use legilimency on me. Meanwhile, Aphry stood in the corner arms crossed with a little frown as she watched us argue.

When legitimacy didn't work, he continued prying. First, with veiled, but empty threats because I wasn't coming to his office when he'd requested me.  Then he had the gall to mention the unbreakable vow he'd made to my mother.

That wasn't going to get me to open up to him either. "Looks like you'll have to break it, then, because I don't need your protection!" From my viewpoint, I could see Aphry was visibly shaken, her eyes widened fearfully at me. Jealousy laced itself into my anger. Was she so concerned about the well-being of our teacher, who couldn't seem to keep his large, crooked nose out of my business? Or did she not have enough faith in me to do this without help?

"It's my job," I continued. "He gave it to me and I'm doing it. I've got a plan and it's going to work, it's just taking a bit longer than I thought it would!"

But Snape continued to press. "What is your plan?"

"It's none of your business!" I spat.

"If you tell me what you are trying to do, I can assist you –"

 "I've got all the assistance I need, thanks," I said as I nodded my head toward Aphry. "I'm not alone!" 

"You were certainly alone tonight, which was foolish in the extreme, wandering the corridors without lookouts or backup. These are elementary mistakes –" 

"I would've had Crabbe and Goyle with me if you hadn't put them in detention!" I said, shouting now. I had nicked some polyjuice potion off of Slughorn at the beginning of term, thinking it would be useful. And after Aphry told me of Potter's accusations, I brought Crabbe and Goyle to keep watch over the room posed as other students. After that bit had been used, Aphry had brewed up her own batches in the safety of the room of requirement.

"Keep your voice down!" Snape scolded with a snarl. "If your friends Crabbe and Goyle intend to pass their Defence Against the Dark Arts O.W.L. this time around, they will need to work a little harder than they are doing at pres—"

"What does it matter?" I interrupted. "Defence Against the Dark Arts– it's all just a joke, isn't it, an act? Like any of us need protecting against the Dark Arts –"

"It is an act that is crucial to success, Draco!" said Snape, taking a couple of steps toward me. I kept my space from him, taking my own steps back until I hit the classroom wall. "Where do you think I would have been all these years if I had not known how to act? Your defensor understands this concept, smiling her way through classes as if she's oblivious to what you're doing. Through her occlumency, mind you." I looked over to Aphry, her brow furrowed as she watched the argument.