Hog's Head - 108

Aphry

Every day became more and more uncomfortable with Dolores Umbridge as High Inquisitor. Every morning it seemed a new Educational Decree was nailed to the wall surrounding the great hall doors. It felt restrictive, oppressive, and suffocating. Especially when she fired professor Trelawney and tried to have her removed from the grounds.

But I was going to be the last student that spoke up. I knew exactly which side Malfoy senior fell on in this situation, confirmed by his comments in The Daily Prophet. Drawing attention by protesting Umbridge would not be seen favourably. My father would keep him from harming me, of course. But that didn't mean Lucius Malfoy wouldn't find a creative way to get control of the situation.

A fact which had me second-guessing myself when I found a way to excuse myself from Daphne and head to the Hog's Head, where Draco and I were more than once advised not to go on our Hogsmeade trips.

Hermione had found me alone studying in the library the previous week. She asked about the Arithmancy homework but slipped me a piece of parchment with a only date, time, and location.

What she wanted to discuss with me, I couldn't be sure. But I thought this might be my chance to find some closure with her since I didn't want to risk speaking with her since term started.

I lifted the hood to my cloak and wrapped my scarf around my face. Partially to guard my face from the chilly winter air, partially to protect my lungs from the mouldy, dank smell of the Hog's head that I could smell from the outside, and, most importantly to conceal myself. I didn't put it past Umbridge to have eyes all around, and neither Hermione nor I could risk being seen with each other.

When I entered the Hog's head, I was surprised to find myself at the back of a small crowd of students. I wondered exactly what was going on.

Hermione had just started to speak to the crowd. "So you all know why we're here."

Not really, I thought.

"We need a teacher. A proper teacher." Hermione said. My stomach somersaulted. What was she trying to start? "One who's had experience defending himself against the dark arts." My anxiety rose as I realized what I was invited to.

A student I recognized as one of the Hufflepuff quidditch players questioned if You-Know-Who was really back, and another asked about what really happened the night of the Triwizard tournament, which prompted Harry to stand and speak up. I felt sorry for Harry having to relive these moments in such a way, but another part of me felt sorry for the other students, the uncertainty of the Dark Wizard's return leaving them uncertain if they should trust Harry.

They finally did get around to Harry's defence abilities, and the other students eventually all came around to the idea that learning from Harry would be worth the risk and started signing a paper to commit.

One by one, they signed, then left to enjoy the rest of their Hogsmeade trip.

Maybe I should have left early, but I waited for the pub to empty. I had gotten the courage to speak with Hermione, and I was going to follow through with it, despite my surprise.

All that was left in the pub beside the barkeep was Hermione, Harry, and Ron. "Aphry, you came," Hermione said lightly as I approached them.

"You shouldn't have asked me to come," I said, not meeting any of their eyes.

"Aphry, you need this more than any of the other students," Hermione said, brows furrowed in concern. I knew what she wasn't saying, you need this since you are so closely affiliated with a Death Eater. 

I nod. "I understand why you asked me, but I can't risk me being part of this. You can't risk me being part of this." I finally look at Hermione, Ron, and Harry. Their expressions were solemn. "This isn't just about school either. We all know the truth about his return." Their eyes all widen at the revelation that I knew. "I'm being forced on the other side of this," I said. I looked at Harry. "And if things get worse, they could use me to try and get to you." 

"So that's it," Ron spat hatefully. "You're just going to their side because of Malfoy?"

I was stunned to silence, but Hermione spoke up for me. "She doesn't have much of a choice, Ronald," she said lightly. "Defensors have a compulsion, almost an instinct, to protect their subject."

"Dumbledore said, 'We must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy," Harry said harshly.

I glared at him, tears starting to rim my eyes at the veiled accusation. "This. Is not. Easy." I said through clenched teeth. "If I abandon Draco, and something happens to him, I lose my life, too. Sorry if I'm not exactly ready for that at fifteen. Not to mention my father is in the same precarious position. I'm not abandoning him, either."

We stood in silence for a few uncomfortable moments. "So there's no way for you to join us?" Hermione asked.

Shaking my head, I said, "No. You'd likely get found out sooner with Umbridge breathing down my neck because my father knows the Minister..." Suddenly a thought came to my head. "But I might be able to help you in another way. Hermione," she looked at me quizzically. "Find a discreet way to tell me when meetings are. And if I start acting odd... just know I haven't gone mad."

The three agreed although they seem confused. I left shortly after and headed back toward the main business stretch of the village.

I'd just passed Honeydukes, when I heard an angry voice yell, "Aphrodite!"

Turning, I saw Draco stalking toward me, Crabbe and Goyle flanking behind them. Daphne trailed after, a look of desperation on her face.

Draco didn't stop until he towered over me, inches from colliding with me. "Where in the hell have you been?" I could practically see steam coming out of his ears he was so angry. "Daphne said you went missing. We've been looking all over for you."

I needed a quick alibi. "I went over to look at the shrieking shack."

"Alone?" he yelled. "Something could have happened to you! You could have gotten hurt!"

"I didn't realize you cared," I challenged. "And aren't you supposed to be eight inches away from me?"

He groaned. "Don't do this, Aphrodite."

I laughed coldly. "I'm not the one playing hot and cold." I dove past him and headed to Daphne, who was giving me an apologetic look. "So sorry to worry you, Daph. I'm ready to go back to the castle if you are."

Bloodlines || A Draco Malfoy Romance Fanfictionजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें