Killers and Boggarts - 34

"Does it hurt terribly, Draco?"

"It comes and it goes. Still, I consider myself lucky. According to Madame Pomfrey, another minute or two, and I, uh, could've lost my arm. I couldn't possibly do any homework for weeks."

I looked at Harry and Hermione across the table from me as we studied, my instructions to 'cull Draco's jealousy' mostly ignored. I was not going to let the Malfoy family dictate who my friends were. My brows furrowed, anger and surprise overcaming me as I overhead Draco talking to Pansy, recycling the same line he'd used on me.

"Listen to the idiot. He's really laying it on thick isn't he?" Ron said beside me, his head turned toward the group of Slytherins.

"Yeah, but at least Hagrid didn't get fired," Harry said.

"Yeah, but I heard Draco's father's furious," Hermione said. "We haven't heard the end of this."

"That's an understatement," I said. Their heads turned toward me. "He was not happy that I apparently failed to perform my 'duties.'" I kept the details vague, avoiding the fact that Draco's father had found his way on to school grounds explicitly to chastise me. 

Hermione looked me in the eye with a serious expression. "There was nothing you could have done. Both of you ended up in the hospital wing anyway."

"Which was honestly surprising," Ron said. "When he saw me bring you in passed out, he demanded Madame Pomfrey check on you before finishing up with him."

My brows lifted in surprise, "he did?"

Hermione nodded. "And when Madame Pomfrey told all of us to leave, he threatened to owl his father if he couldn't stay."

Without thinking, I looked over at the crowd he was sitting with. He was speaking to Pansy, but, as had happened multiple times the past couple of days, his eyes lifted to meet mine. The essence of a smile was on his face. However, it was quickly replaced by a scowl as he realized whose company I was in.

"He's been sighted! He's been sighted!" Seamus shouted, diverting my attention away and onto the newest edition of the Prophet he'd slammed on the table.

"Who?"

"Sirius Black!" Seamus responded.

"Dufftown," Hermione said as she looked stood over the paper to look at the article. "That's not far from here."

"Y-you don't think he'd come to Hogwarts, do you?" Neville said nervously.

"With dementors at every entrance?" Someone else said.

"Dementors!" Seamus responded. "He's already slipped passed them once, hasn't he? Who is to say he won't do it again?"

That afternoon was our first defense against the dark arts class with Professor Lupin.

I stood near the back of the class with Daphne and the other Slytherins as the entire class stood in front of an old, worn wardrobe. It shook side to side as we all watched it.

Professor Lupin was relying heavily on class participation for the lesson. Dean Thomas identified the creature inside causing all the shaking as a Boggart. Hermione mentioned that Boggarts were shape-shifters, taking the form of whatever a person fears the most.

"Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart." Lupin said as he walked toward the front of the class in front of the wardrobe. "Let's practice it now. Uh, without wands, please. After me: Riddikulus!"

The class repeated back. "Riddikulus!"

"Very good," The professor responded. "Now, A little louder and very clear. Listen. Rid-dik-u-lus."