Goblet of Fire - 72

We left the common room early for breakfast the next morning, despite it being a Saturday. We want to get an early start to get an idea of who was putting their name in the Goblet of Fire.

I was wearing a cotton, dark emerald fit and flare dress with a sweetheart neckline and elbow length, cuffed sleeves. Pansy and Daphne were in their nicer dresses, very likely to catch the eye of Viktor Krum or one of the other Durmstrang students with whom they now had connections thanks to Dimitri. I found it curious that Pansy did so, seeing as she is supposed to be Draco's girlfriend. However, I made no mention of it to her.

When we entered the common room, Draco and the other Slytherin fourth-year boys were coming out of their dorms. I smiled at Draco as our eyes connected. Pansy broke off from our trio of girls, taking Draco's arms. A low hum of jealousy filled my senses, but I kept my composure. After all, I was taken.

We went to the great hall to eat breakfast, then lingered to see who would put their names in the cup. I stood, talking with other Slytherins in our crowd.

"The word is that Warrington got up early and put his name in," Theodore Nott, coming up to us after talking to others that arrived early.

"Oh, I would love a Slytherin champion!" I said enthusiastically. 

"And what if darling Dimitri is the Durmstrang champion?" Draco said with an impish grin as he lounged back, arm slung around Pansy. "Are you going to root against your own school?"

I didn't even want to think of the complications that would arise should he be chosen. I pushed the thoughts back and gave Draco a sly half-smile. "Draco, I am certain I can support both the Hogwarts champion and Dimitri should that be the case."

"So diplomatic," Draco mocked.

I was just about to open my mouth to scold him when someone distracted us, shouting, "Come on Cedric. Put it in!" I turned around just as two Hufflepuff boys pushed their seeker across the Age Line. He placed his name into the Goblet, followed by many well-wishers clapping for him.

As I turned back around, Draco said, "Be embarrassing to have a Hufflepuff champion, wouldn't it?" just low enough for us in the immediate vicinity to hear. Pansy giggled, followed by other Slytherins giggles and chuckles.

"Draco, there would be nothing wrong with having a Hufflepuff champion," I said.

Scoffing, Draco responded. "What're they going to do, apologize their way to victory?" More laughs from the Slytherins followed.

"You're incorrigible," I muttered.

"I'm sorry," Draco said with a mocking pout.  "I almost forgot the sorting hat nearly put you there. Had to beg it for Slytherin."

I gasped as I was filled with anger. "How dare you!" I couldn't believe he would even joke about such a thing!

A commotion pulled my attention from the Slytherin crowd yet again as the Weasley twins came in. I walked over to the crowd of Gryffindors they joined, and they acknowledge my presence with synchronized winks.

"Well lads, we've done it."  "Cooked it up just this morning!"

"It's not going to work," Hermione said in a sing-song voice.

Hermione was right, a Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff had already tried earlier before many of the Gryffindors had come into the hall, so I knew what would happen to the twins. She explained the Age Line to the Weasleys and that it wouldn't work. 

I, however, was not as admirable as Hermione at this moment. I was amused at the thought of watching them try rather than confirming Hermione was correct.

"Good luck, boys," I said sweetly after they more or less dismissed Hermione's warning. They were going to need it.

They took it as a vote of confidence and beamed at me as they stood, shaking their vials of potion. "Ready Fred?" "Ready George." 

"Bottoms up." They said together as they linked their arms and downed their potions simultaneously. I sat next to Hermione to watch them. Once done, they jumped over the Age Line, hesitating for a moment to confirm there were no ill effects. They considered it a success, exclaiming in triumph and earning cheers from those watching. 

Then they stood together, taking the parchment scraps they had placed their names on simultaneously in the Goblet of Fire.

They started celebrating, all the students around cheering. But it was short-lived as the Goblet backfired, spitting a blue flame of fire around the circle in a snakelike tendril and throwing the twins back about ten feet on the hard stone floor. They each lifted slowly and looked at each other's fresh beards and white hair as if looking in a mirror.

"You said!" One twin said, then the other said, "You said!" They grabbed at each other, fighting on the ground.

I sat with Hermione, who had a disgusted look on her face as she opened her book. "I think they've learned the hard way to listen to you next time," I said. Her head turn to me, who was looking at her with a sly smile. She smiled back and laughed slightly.

"I'm going to go get onto them now," I said to excuse myself and went to the twins, who had calmed down at this point. 

I stood in front of the two with my arms crossed and an obviously fake look of concern on my face. "Perhaps you two should head on to visit Madame Pomfrey. Fawcett and Summers both used the aging potion earlier today and I'm not sure if it's completely reversible the longer you delay."

Their flabbergasted expression was only made more amusing by their beards. "You knew?!" Fred said. "And you didn't tell us?" George followed.

The expression changed to a mischievous smile. "Of course! Why would I miss watching that? Also, Hermione gave you plenty of warning."

Amused smirks peeked behind their beards as they both placed their hands on their hips. "Young lady, your Slytherin is showing," George said, raising a finger and laughing at me.

I burst out laughing at that point. "Ok, grandpa!" I said, and we all laughed together.

Just then the hall hushed, including the twins who looked toward the entrance. I turned around to see Viktor Krum, along with Headmaster Karkaroff entering.

Krum looked determined as he walked to the Goblet. A completely different tone than the Weasley twins. He kept his eyes fixated on the Goblet up until the point he reached up, sacrificing his parchment up to the blue flames.

The moment after was subtle, but he then turned his head. To Hermione. I couldn't see Krum's expression, but a light smile graced Hermione's lips.

I was pondering what that interaction might mean when I was pulled out of my thoughts by an arm grabbing by the waist. Another arm joined it as I was enveloped in Dimitri's embrace. He further surprised me by putting his lips on mine in a deep kiss, going as far as dipping me. Fred and George hollered and whistled at the scene in front of them.

When Dimitri pulled me back up and disconnected from me, I could not hide my bewilderment at such a display of affection.

A satisfied smirk rested on his lips. "For luck," he said before turning his head and walking to the Goblet to put his name in.

Meanwhile, I hoped desperately that it didn't work.