Emerald Petticoat - 63

Draco

Something didn't add up about this business with Aphry. Of course, I knew what was going on at the world cup. My father assured me that she would be fine, and I trusted him. 

That's why I stood near the edge of the woods, waiting for her and watching the chaos unfurl as if it were a stage show, not a terror attack. I would have certainly spent that time ensuring she was safe first, rather than taunting the Golden Trio.

Although, that was pretty fun.

I questioned my father later. Was this a rogue Death Eater? And why were they trying to capture a pureblood witch? He assured me that he did not have the answers, but he was surely going to investigate who was responsible.

The next Monday, we were back on the train to Hogwarts.

Aphry and I grabbed a compartment and were soon joined by Crabbe, Goyle, Parkinson, and Greengrass. 

I nearly laughed at the initial look of distaste on Parkinson's face seeing Aphry. While Parkinson was wearing a jumper and denim trousers, Aphrodite was wearing a carefully pleated white skirt with a matching blazer. The emerald pendant my mother gave her first year sat delicately on her neck and on her feet, under her delicately crossed ankles, were the tan heels that she'd been wearing all Summer. If she wasn't wearing the black ones, of course.

Aphry was pensively staring out the window, so she didn't notice Pansy. I hadn't seen her since she left our house early the past week, so I couldn't quite tell whether her demeanor was due to what happened at the World Cup, or because she was parted from lover boy. Frankly, I didn't like either of those prospects. I was happy she was away from that wanker, even if briefly.

As the train started, Daphne asked, "So how was everyone's Summers?"

Thinking it would be amusing, I crossed my arms with a smug smile on my face as I looked at Aphry. "Well, someone found out they were arranged to be married."

Aphry gave me a pointed look at sharing her news while Daphne and Pansy's eyes turned into saucers.

"Aphrodite! Why didn't you owl us?" Daphne said, turning to her with an excited grin. "Ugh, and here I was thinking I was your best friend...." She looked at me. "Well, girlfriend." She laughed. "But I bet you were busy! Oh, Draco, you must have been so cocky all holiday knowing you'd been right all last year!"

A smirk slowly appeared on Aphry's face as she looked at me, and I felt my expression drop. I slunk down in my seat.

"Well, actually, Draco is not who I'm arranged to marry," Aphry said. Daphne's look of shock again appeared on her face. Before she could say anything, Aphry added, "His name is Dimitri Sokolov. He's a Durmstrang student."

The conversation then veered toward Durmstrang, and I told them how I nearly went to Durmstrang, but Mother didn't want me so far away.

As the train ride went on, at about lunchtime, I divulged the news of the Triwizard tournament to those in my compartment. Everyone in the compartment was thrilled to hear the news from me.

"Of course, I wouldn't need the money," I said with my arms crossed, as the idea crossed my mind. "But it would be nice to get that front-page photo in the Prophet if I won."

Aphrodite straightened. Her hand went up to clutch her necklace. "Draco Malfoy, you are not entering that tournament. You are not foolishly risking your life like that."

This was the liveliest that she had been since the cup. I'd take bossy Aphry over that reclused one any day, so I challenged her. "Who are you to tell me what I can and can't do, Aphrodite?" I spat, feigning offense.

"You could get killed, Draco!" she said, almost desperately.

"I could get eternal glory, Aphrodite," I responded, thrilled to be getting a rise out of her.

She crossed her arms with a huff, turning her head to look out the window. She crossed her legs at the knee, and the hint of an emerald petticoat peaked from her skirt as it rode up slightly.

Merlin.

I turned my head away to Crabbe and Goyle, whose mouths we gaped as if they'd never seen a woman in a skirt.

Thankfully, I overheard several Gryffindors in the next compartment over, so I opened the compartment door, ordered them to come with me, and went to bother Potter and his friends.