Nice Day for a White Ferret - 79

Aphry

The day before the first task, everyone was buzzing with excitement. Some students could hardly be contained in classes. It was such a nice day that at lunch Daphne and I went outside on the grounds for a bit to enjoy some of the crisp autumn air. Krum went to the library, for reasons obvious to us, along with Dimitri, who had an exam to study for.

We joined Draco outside, where he had climbed a tree. My necklace had not tingled at all, so I assumed he was safe.

That didn't stop me from giving him a hard time about it though.

"Your mother would have a fit if she knew you were climbing trees," I joked as I put down my bags.

Draco smirked, looking down at me. "Well, mummy's not here, is she?" he said. Crabbe and Goyle laughed.

I nodded my head, an impish smile sat on my lips. "She is just an owl away, though!" I said. "Perhaps I can use the emerald ink she gave me for my birthday. She'll be so thankful her protégé is keeping an eye on her boy while he's away at school."

His eyes narrowed into slits. "You're scary when you do that, Cytheria," he said, a playful lilt in his tone.

Laughing, I sat on a bench under the tree's shade with Daphne. "Don't worry, Draco. I don't snitch."

He scoffed. "You do if it benefits you." He was still playful, but there was the slightest hint of resentment in his tone. I quickly recalled the actions I took on easter break earlier this year, and nodded my head in agreement.

Daphne matched his scoff. "Of course she does! That's what makes her a good Slytherin."

We all had a good laugh at that.

"There's Potter. Cheat." Crabbe said, nodding. I turned in the direction he nodded and saw Harry.

My necklace tingled. Here we go.

"Why so tense, Potter?" Draco said smugly from the tree, spitting Potter as he usually does. "My father and I have a bet, you see. I don't think you're gonna last ten minutes in this tournament."

Harry paused, then turned toward Draco. My necklace tingled more.

Draco jumped down from the tree. Landing smoothly on the ground. I focused on ignoring how... athletic I thought the action was. "He disagrees. He thinks you won't last five." The Slytherin boys chuckled.

"I don't give a damn what your father thinks, Malfoy." He said, stalking toward Draco and shoving him. "He's vile and cruel."

Not wrong there, Harry, I thought, but would never dare to say out loud.

"And you're just pathetic," Harry said.

Oh, no. My necklace tingled more as Draco started messing with his robes. "Pathetic?" He repeated furiously.

I'd just opened my mouth to warn him to stop when I heard. "Oh, no, you don't, sonny!" and a spell was shot at Draco from the covered walkway. 

In a flash, Draco was transfigured into a white ferret. My mouth gaped open in shock.

"I'll teach you to curse somebody when their back is turned!" Professor Moody said, hobbling up with his walking stick. "You stinking, cowardly, scummy, back-shooting..." With each word, his wand lifted up and down, slamming ferret-Draco onto the hard ground. A headache slowly started presenting itself.

"Professor Moody!" McGonagall said, rushing up with Daphne behind her. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"Teaching," Moddy said as Draco lifted into the air, and then fell to the ground. I winced with each impact.

McGonagall's eyes widened. "Is that a--? Is that a student?" she said incredulously.

Up. Down. Wince. Up. Down. Wince. "Technically, it's a ferret." Moody then grabbed for Crabbe's pants, forcing Draco down the front. The students that had now crowded around all roared with laughter.

I covered my mouth to again conceal that it was gaped. Now that he wasn't being slammed against the ground, the headache had subsided slightly.

Crabbe panicked, and Goyle stood in front of him, trying to help. For some reason, he reached down Crabbe's trousers. However, he promptly yanked his hand out, shaking his hand.

Oh my god, did Draco just bite him? I wondered.

After a moment, I saw a pop of white pop out of the leg of Crabbe's pants, and Draco ferret came out.

Professor McGonagall lifted her wand, and Draco transfigure back into his normal self. He turned to turn Moody, fury written on his face. "My father will hear about this!" he shouted at him as everyone laughed.

"Is that a threat?" Professor Moody said, rushing to Draco, who turned, made a lap around the tree he was previously sitting in and ran as fast as he could with Crabbe and Goyle in the opposite direction.

Daphne and I grabbed our bags and ran after him into the school.

Draco finally stopped running once inside the safety of the school. I caught to him, bent over with his hands on his knees as he caught his breath. "I see why they call him 'Mad.'"

"Are you okay?" I asked him worriedly as I rushed over to him. "Do you need to go see Madam Pomfrey?"

He stood straight, wincing and confirming why my headache lingered faintly. "I'll be fine," he said.

I crossed my arms with a huff, pacing. "You should write to your father. That is unacceptable for a teacher to do!" 

"Aphry--"

I growled, threading my fingers through my hair from the underside and pulling my curls subconsciously. "Oh my god, that was horrifying! You just went up and down and up and down!"

"Aphry--"

"You have gotten hurt much worse. Merlin, I should write to your father as well!"

"Aphrodite," Draco said. I stopped pacing, looking at him. He walked up to me. Placing my hands on my shoulders. He gave a light smile. "I'm alright. Don't get yourself in such a tizzy... you're scaring me a little."

I nodded, taking a few deep breaths to calm down. After a moment, I looked at him. "Are you sure you're alright?"

His smile deepened. "Positive."

"Well," Daphne said, "Now that no one is freaking out any longer... Can you please tell me if I saw correctly? Did you bite Goyle when he was trying to rescue you from Crabbe's pants?" There was an amused lilt in her voice.

Draco only looks at her, eyes darkened with annoyance. "Yes. It was dark, I was a ferret, and I didn't know what was going on."

That added some levity to the situation, as Daphne broke out in contagious laughter, followed by me, then Draco, Crabbe and Goyle.