The darkness of one's soul often conceals the light of their true identity." - Unknown

👻👻👻

Cairo, Egypt.

Past midnight, I finally arrived at my father's friend's house here in Cairo. One of his sons picked me up from the airport last night. Exhaustion clouded my senses, and I greeted them with a nod before retiring to my room without much ado. Satiated from my earlier meal, hunger did not assail me.

The elderly couple, whom I presumed to be the parents of my father's friend, exuded warmth and hospitality. They conversed with me in Arabic, peppered with occasional English phrases.

"Ahlan wa sahlan, dear," Shaani, the mother, welcomed me. "Shukran, Auntie," I replied, offering a weary smile. After exchanging pleasantries with Tamim, my father's friend, I partook in a modest meal before a maid escorted me to my quarters.

As I settled into my spacious room, thoughts of my parents surfaced. Though I had contacted them upon my arrival, I hesitated to disturb them again. Perhaps it was already morning in Nigeria, and they would surely call soon.

After freshening up, I drifted into slumber, only to be awakened by the gentle rays of dawn filtering through the curtains. With a stretch, I reached for my phone, noting the late hour: past 10 AM. After a quick ablution, I made my way downstairs.

As I approached the dining area, I encountered another maid, different from the one I met yesterday.

"صباح الخير, maam," she greeted me. "My lady requests your presence for breakfast." With a nod of acknowledgment, she led me through the grandeur of the house.

The dining room was a sight to behold, adorned with high ceilings, crystal chandeliers, and exquisite artwork. Fine wood furniture with intricate carvings graced the room, while expansive windows offered views of the lush garden.

Seated at the table were five individuals, three of whom I recognized. Alongside them sat a boy and a girl, presumably siblings. I exchanged greetings with Uncle Tamim, clad in traditional Egyptian attire, before taking my seat.

The table was adorned with a variety of Egyptian breakfast dishes, and Mrs. Shaani took the lead in introducing me to everyone.

"This is Farhan from Nigeria, who will soon be joining school with Marwa," she explained, directing her gaze towards me.

"Nice to meet you," echoed the voices around the table.

Sahel, the eldest, served me a cup of steaming coffee with a reserved yet kind demeanor. "Nice to meet you, Farhan," he said softly, prompting a grateful smile and a word of thanks from me.

Marwa remained silent, her focus solely on her meal, seemingly aloof. My attempt at a friendly greeting garnered no response from her, though the rest of the family appeared engrossed in their breakfast. The third sibling, sensing the tension, offered me a reassuring smile.

Uncle Tamim inquired about my family back home, and a pang of longing washed over me. Thoughts of Sudais, my younger brother, tugged at my heartstrings.

After breakfast, as the family dispersed to attend to their respective tasks, Uncle Tamim and Sahel departed for work. Marwa and the third sibling headed off to school, leaving Auntie and me alone in the house. She graciously offered to give me a tour, and as we wandered through the halls, I marveled at the blend of Egyptian and modern influences evident in the decor. Intricate artworks adorned the walls, and family photographs added a personal touch to the ambiance.

👻👻👻
""Assalamu Alaikum," Asim, the third sibling, entered the house, returning from school. "Waalaikumus salaam," I replied with a reciprocal gesture. "Welcome back. How was school?" I inquired as he slumped onto the cushion.

"Fine, Alhamdulillah, shukran. It's tiring. Ahh! I remember, do you know what happened today at school?" he exclaimed, his excitement contrasting with the weariness evident in his demeanor.

"Let's hear it!" I encouraged, as he signaled for a maid to bring him water. After taking a sip, he settled in to recount the day's events.

"We had a football match today, and our opponents were furious when they lost. One of them instigated a fight with one of our team members, even resorting to physical violence. The matter was reported to the school authorities. I feel sorry for them. Now, their entire team is banned from participating in any sports activities for the rest of the academic year," he lamented.

"That was uncalled for and unfair. His actions not only harmed his own team but also deprived them of future opportunities to excel," I remarked sympathetically.

We continued our conversation with the amiable Asim before he excused himself to freshen up and have his meal. Just then, Marwa returned home, prompting me to extend the same courtesy of welcome. However, she merely nodded in response before retreating to her room.

Unfazed by her aloof demeanor, I resumed watching TV, only to be startled by a commotion upstairs. Investigating the source, I witnessed a tray of food strewn on the ground, accompanied by the sound of a resounding slap. Marwa stood before a trembling maid, her expression steely as she delivered harsh words.

"What on earth is happening?" I thought, torn between intervening and observing the unfolding scene.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. I didn't mean to upset you. It was an oversight, and I apologize," the maid pleaded, her voice trembling with fear.

Without a word, Marwa demanded her meal to be brought within ten minutes before slamming her door shut, leaving the maid to clean up the mess. As I watched the maids swiftly attend to their tasks, I couldn't shake off the unsettling feeling that something was amiss with Marwa.

Was she acting out of character, or was there more beneath the surface? I pondered these questions, my mind racing with uncertainty as I finished the juice in my cup.

And those who strive for Us - We will surely guide them to Our ways. And indeed, Allah is with the doers of good
_Qur'an (29.69)