Chapter 35

Lucas

For the next three days, Lucas is forced to work with Vaughn and Wilder as they search through every computer and laptop ever used in the case. They look for any scrap left behind or anything that slipped past Harlow. In the time he is able to spend in the house, he and Samantha act as if they are in a relationship, which even if they haven't clarified it, he hopes they are in the beginning of one. She even started not wearing a bra, which she often complained about because her boobs hurt. Lucas has managed to function somewhat normally with her not wearing one, but asked her very nicely but sternly to wear one around the guys. She grumbled in annoyance, but much to Lucas's gratitude, agreed. Every long day full of disappointment when they don't find anything all is forgotten when she wakes up in his arms the next morning. Lucas does his best to keep it from Julian at first, but given he is staying with her, he eventually finds out. His reaction was not what he expected. Rather than getting angry, Julian admitted he was worried, but glad that Lucas is finally not acting all mopey and lonely. Lucas isn't the only who is acting different. Samantha's vibe is much happier then when he first met her. The sadness in her eyes has diminished so that he barely sees it. Sometimes she'll space off, and it'll briefly return, but Lucas is sure to quickly distract her so she doesn't get stuck in the past. Once while they slept she began to whimper and cry in her sleep. Lucas then woke her up and talked to her until they fell asleep, with her tucked by his side the whole time. He hates that she still has the dream even if she claims she gets it way less since he started sleeping in her room.

By the time the fourth morning came around Julian doesn't bat an eye when he comes out of the bathroom at the same time Lucas comes out of Samantha's room shirtless.

"I'll be back quickly today. I only have to pick up a drive Wilder left for me in my office," Lucas tells him as he slips on his shirt and jacket.

"Mom called me last night," Julian mentions handing him his coffee. "Seems Mrs. Spencer was able to hold out for only a week."

Lucas sighs, "What she say?"

"She had questions, most which I could answer so I did."

"Oh god what you say?"

"The truth. I'm not going to lie to her. Told her you are taking care of her due to a case. Then she lectured me, about how you should not take on a pregnant woman if there is someone else involved. Then I told her the father is a dipshit, and that Samantha is a great girl and she calmed down."

"Did you tell her to stay out of it, because we don't know how this will turn out?"

"Nah your the one being the idiot who is still trying. You can tell her."

"Fine, I'll call her on the way to the office."

"You better," Julian replies, "my ear still hurts."

"Make sure she eats," Lucas points at the sheet saying what Samantha can eat, "she won't want the drinks, but she needs them."

"I've taken care of her the last couple days, I got it."

Lucas scowls at the reminder, "Only cause I have Vaughn busy. Maybe you should finish tracking Micheal down. You do have an actual job you have to go to."

"Nope. Vaughn said he is waiting for an email and if it check out he found him, so I'm not really needed. As for my job, my men have got it."

"I'll be back quick today don't get too comfortable."

Julian rolls his eyes, "I won't take your girl, no matter how much she begs me."

"Julian," Lucas growls remember how Samantha had said she did think he is hot.