Chapter 30

Samantha

 Finally, Spencer finishes and calls the guys back in.

"I am going to order some blood tests. A nurse will come to briefly to do so."

"How is she looking?" Lucas asks, a touch of concern on his face that makes Samantha want to smile. While her brain keeps constantly reminding her his worry might only be for reasons that have to do with the case, she can't help but feel warm inside when he shows he cares.

"I don't like how much she is throwing up, but I will provide you with a diet to follow to see if it helps. If it does, that should improve how you feel and will help you regain some weight loss. The dizziness may be explained by all the throwing up, but I want to check her blood to make sure it's nothing else. The blood test will also be for a routine procedure we do on pregnant women early on to ensure there is no disease that can be passed to the baby."

"Sounds good."

"I'll be back when the nurse is done," Doctor Spencer gives her a smile and steps out of the room. Lucas follows her out but quickly returns.

"That was easy," Marcus says.

"Easy for you," Samantha says sourly, "you didn't get probed and poked everywhere."

"Uh, sorry."

"Is the blood test really necessary?"

"Yes," Lucas replies, "very."

Samantha clenches the cushion of the examining table and takes deep breaths, refusing to panic.

"You don't like needles?" Marcus asks.

"Needles are fine. I don't like blood," she says, her attempts at not panicking failing, "I don't like seeing it. It reminds me of stuff," she gives Lucas a wide-eyed look, "are you sure I really have to do it?"

Lucas rubs his forehead, "I am sorry, but yes."

She lets out a breath, "Okay, I'll manage," she mumbles to herself, "I can do this."

"Lucas don't," Marcus says. Samantha looks at him confused. A warm hand grabs hers. Lucas leans against the table next to her, "If you begin to remember anything you don't want to squeeze my hand."

"I am going to puke," Marcus shakes his head disapprovingly. Samantha wonders if they had some sort of discussion about her, which she doesn't know about.

"I am very strong. I don't look like it, but I could damage your hand," she half-jokes.

"I've had worse," he shrugs, "I think I can handle you."

"You guys remember you're a fake couple, right?"

"Yes," Samantha tries to take her hand out of Lucas's. Holding hands definitely passes just being professional.

Lucas tightens his grip, so she can't wiggle out, "I am only helping her stay calm. Would you rather her freak out? Are you truly that low?"

Marcus blinks, "Of course not."

"Then leave it be."

It's not long before the nurse comes and takes her blood. Samantha closes her eyes, not daring to look at it. Lucas's hand does help her, by reminding her where she is and to not space off into her memories.

"Would you like to know the gender?" the nurse asks.

"I can know that already?" Samantha opens one eye.

"Yes, a blood test can accurately tell us the gender."

"Yes, please," Samantha says with no hesitation. Never has she understood how people have the patients wait to know the baby's gender.