Chapter Eight- Rachel

I must have dosed off at some point, as I get woken up by the smell of coffee. I stand up and stretch my poor muscles after being in a ball for most of the night.

"Ah, good morning sunshine. I was just about to wake you" Theo says to me from behind the counter, before coming over and placing a steaming mug of coffee in front of me. I murmur my thanks and take a grateful sip of liquid energy.

"What time is it? I don't remember falling asleep" I ask, while rubbing my sleepy eyes. Theo comes and sits next to me in the chair that Brad was in last night. He must have gone home to sleep, I think to myself.

"It's still early, only 6.30. I left you to sleep as late as I could. Bradley told me that he offered to take you to get your neck checked out, but you said that it's ok. How's it feeling today? And I know you won't want to, but do you want to leave the café closed for today so you can get more rest?" Theo asks.

I shake my head vigorously, before replying. "No! Absolutely not. I promised myself last night that I wasn't going to allow that weasel to make me feel weak, so shutting the café is not an option. My neck feels ok, and I was pretty shaken up last night after it happened, but I promise, I feel much better today" I say, with a genuine smile.

Theo looks from my face to my neck, checking to see if I'm lying. He has an uncanny way of picking up on when I'm lying or hiding something from him. He nods as if he's satisfied that I'm not and goes back to drinking his coffee.

I think about the kiss with Bradley, biting my lip. "I do have something to tell you, though..." I say, not looking at him. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Theo waving his hand in a go on motion, so I continue, "I kissed Bradley last night, in the pub."

He sprays coffee out of his mouth in shock. "What! When? I was there the whole night and didn't see anything. Spill, now, woman!"

"After everyone ran out to find Joshua, Bradley was holding me, and I needed comfort. So, I kind of kissed him..." I say, blushing. As soon as I get the last words out of my mouth, Theo is throwing questions at me at a neck breaking speed. "Was it good? Is he a good kisser? Did you kiss again? Why were you asleep in the chair when I got here?". I answer his questions, giving him all the details, knowing that I won't get away with it if I don't. He goes to ask even more questions but before he can, I stand and tell him I'm heading for a shower. It's way too early for this.

An hour later, I'm in the café kitchen making dough for cinnamon rolls when there's a knock at the back door. I quickly wash the flour off my hands and open the door, to find Jeremy stood there with a goofy grin on his face.

"Good morning, m'lady. Special delivery" he says, before whipping a beautiful Poinsettia plant from behind his back. He passes the flowers over to me, then strolls away leaving me gaping at his back.

"Who's this from!?" I shout to his retreating form. I hear him say "read the card, it's hidden in there" from a distance. I quickly shut the door and walk over to the kitchen table to put the flowers down. I find the card among the leaves and gasp at what it says;

Rachel

These remind me of you, because they're bold.

These remind me of you, because they're a breath of fresh air.

These remind me of you, because they're beautiful.

Yours, B x

I clutch the little card to my chest, feeling giddy happiness bubbling up inside me. I let out a little squeal and run through to the front of the café, to where Theo is. I find him prodding the fire, getting it ready before we open.