Chapter Two- Rachel

I stand looking at my reflection in the long mirror I have propped up in the corner of my bedroom. I've never really liked looking in the mirror as I don't like what I find staring back at me. All I see is what's wrong with me. I don't have long slender legs, a flat toned stomach or just the one chin. I'm definitely carrying a few extra pounds that I never can seem to shift, that's for sure. I like to wear clothes that are baggy and comfortable or as Theo likes to say "clothes that are easy to hide behind" but tonight, I'm going all out.

I'm wearing a beautiful knee length glittery black skirt which sparkles when the light hits it, my ever favourite red Christmas jumper adorned with glittery baubles all over it, shiny red high heels and a bright red lipstick. It's rare when this happens but I feel like a million dollars. This outfit shows off the hour glass figure that I have, it sits in all the right places without any rolls showing and my curly, dark brown hair is playing ball landing over my shoulders in beautiful ringlets. Don't you just love it when an outfit comes together first time!

I give myself one last glance in the mirror, check my teeth for any lipstick then head into the living room to find Nellie curled up on the plush, dark green sofa. I give her a little fuss and one of her favourite treats then head out the door and down to the café.

I check the time on the antique clock hanging on the wall and see it's 4.50pm, Theo and Tilly should be here in a minute. After another walk around the shop making sure everything looks homely and inviting and lighting the candles on the tables, I'm adding more logs to the fire when I hear the chimes over the front door ring. I turn to find my mum standing there with the biggest grin and watery eyes. I throw the logs onto the floor and run straight to her, throwing my arms around her neck. Anyone would think I hadn't seen her for months, not a couple of hours.

"Hi Mama!" I pull back and release my dear mother, smiling at her, "Thank you so much for helping me this morning. I wouldn't have got it all done without you."

Mum smiles at me before walking further into the café, "Oh Rach, it looks amazing. You know I'd help you in any way I can but all of this..." She gestures around the café, "it is because of you. You've worked so hard over the past few years getting the café where it is now, and I am so proud of you sweetie. So, so proud."

I give my Mum a kiss on the cheek and head to make her a hot, frothy latte while she fiddles with the table centre pieces until they're just so. I definitely take after my mum. It's only ever been me and my mum when I lived at home because my Dad left when I was 6 months old, and I've never heard from him since. To be honest, Mum has done everything, she possibly could to ensure I didn't miss out on anything in life, which I can hand on heart say I never have.

I hand Mum her latte then flop down onto one of the winged back, yellow velvet chairs in-between the Christmas tree and the fire. As I'm sat playing with the velvet of the chair, I look over to my right and see my Mum doing the exact same thing with her chair, which makes me chuckle. Mum looks at me puzzled so I nod my chin towards her hand and when she realizes we are doing the same thing we both burst out laughing until our tummy's hurt and weve got tears running down our cheeks.

"I love you Mum" I say, giving her hand a squeeze.

"I love you too my sweet girl. What time are Theo and Tilly coming?" she asks while she adds sweetener to her latte.

I glance at my watch and see that its 5.10pm, I look outside to see if I can see them walking down the street, but I don't. That's strange. Thankfully the party doesn't start until 6 but I like us to get together an hour early in case weve forgotten anything. Just as I start thinking I may call him, the chimes over the door ring and in walks Theo and Tilly, hand in hand.