CHAPTER 6 - I Fail for the Thousandth Time

I sat with my family, waiting for the show to start. The plate of chocolate chip cookies on my lap, I wanted to eat one so badly. After I had given into the desire to eat one of the cookies, finally the play was going to start! My father knew Japanese, so he would be the only one with the blessing of understanding. They performed just the same as when they rehearsed: amazingly. When Tsukasa and Rui started singing, I couldn't help but hold my breath. Not because of Tsukasa, but because of Rui. Rui's singing was like heaven on earth, but if you really wanted me to describe what Tsukasa's singing was like... the only thing I could say is that he sounded somewhat silly.

"That was great!!" I screamed when the show was over, clapping with everybody else who was watching. Emu jumped offstage and grabbed me by the arm, pulling me backstage. I nearly dropped the cookie plate in my hand.

Emu was bouncing up and down, instructing me on what to say and do when I gave Rui the cookies. "Give him the cookies telling him you made them all by yourself, and then that's when you tell him that you love him with all of your heart!"

"But I didn't make them by myself, you, Honoka, and Nene helped me--" I protested.

"It's okay!" Emu heard Rui's footsteps and put her finger to her lips, "He's coming!" She squealed before quickly slipping away, no longer allowing me to say anything more.

Rui instantly saw me, looking right into my light green eyes he smiled. "You liked the show?" He asked, still smiling.

"Oh yes! It was amazing." I remembered the cookies I was supposed to give him. "Um... these are for you, I made them myself." I smiled sheepishly as I held the plate out to him.

Rui's eyes lit up, I figured he was impressed. "Thank you!" He took the plate and ate one, a big grin on his face afterwards. "Is there something you wanted to tell me?" He queried me expectantly.

Suddenly my brain froze. "Well, I really like yo--" I stopped myself, switching up what I was going to say. "I really like your face!" It wasn't a lie, and it was easier to tell him that instead of how I loved him.

Rui blushed slightly. "I like your face too, you smile pretty." He sounded like he really meant it.

"Oh..." My whole face must have turned red, I couldn't even say thank you.

Then he walked away. Sure, I got a compliment and that was a win. But I still failed because the objective was not fulfilled. I saw Nene and Emu walking up to me, they looked disappointed.

"Why didn't you tell him? What happened?!" Emu sounded shocked, and she was slumped over all sad.

I was angry at myself, so I lashed out at Emu's innocent little self. "Look, I'm dumb! Just leave me alone!! How much worse can this day get, I wonder?!" As if on cue my stomach started to hurt like hell.

Nene put her hands over her mouth. "Setsuko are you okay?!" She asked in a panic.

"Did you... put milk in the cookies?" I said hunched over, ignoring her question. I was very obviously not okay.

"Yes... that's what the recipe calls for, isn't it?" Nene sounded a little confused.

I let out an exasperated sigh. "You were supposed to put the oatmilk in the cookies, stupid! I have a dairy allergy."

Nene's face turned pale. "I didn't know that! If I did I would have put oatmilk instead. I'm sorry..." I probably made her feel bad.

"I thought I told you... or maybe I didn't?" I stopped to think for a moment, remembering I only thought about how I needed to tell them about my dairy allergy then forgot instantly. "Nope, I didn't."