"I love you."

Indiana POV:

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I was killing it! I had been off the ice for quite a while and I was doing really well. I had even assisted a goal. Coach called for a line change and I skated over and hopped over the bench.

"Nice job, Indiana." Coach said. "It's great to have you back out there."

I sat on the bench next to Guy who was intently watching the last minute of the second period.

"Can you believe what Dwayne just did?" I asked.

"I know, it was crazy." He replied while laughing. I couldn't stop looking at him. Whether he was on the ice or on the bench I couldn't keep my eyes off of him.

The horn blew, indicating that it was the end of the 2nd period. We all went to the locker room and sat down with one another to just take a break.

"You all enjoy that?" Coach asked while walking into the locker room.

"Yeah!" We all cheered.

"Well so did they, because they're still three points up and we're one period away from defeat." He was such a mood killer.

"Well, if we can't beat them we might as well keep our pride." Jesse mentioned.

"Yeah.." We all agreed.

"Jesse, that's not pride. Sure, when Dwayne roped that big oaf, part of me cheered.  But, guys, i've been there. I know how you feel. I wanted to cream that jerk that busted my knee when I played in the minors. And I really, really wanted to go after Stansson for that cheap shot. But you know what? My knee will heal. And if I become someone I'm not...  if  I sink to their level... well, then, I  lost more than my knee. You understand? Yeah.  We're not goons. We're not bullies. No matter what people say or do...  we have to be ourselves. You. Who are you?" He asked while pointing at Dean.

"Dean Portman."

"From where?" Coach asked.

"Chicago, Illinois."

Coach then began to go around the locker room and have everyone say who they were and where they were from.

"Indiana James, from Minneapolis, Minnesota."

After some very inspirational words from coach and Jan, he brought in a box and told us it was a gift. We opened it up to see brand new Ducks jerseys.

"No way!" Charlie cheered.

"These are sick!" I called out.

"Here, Indie, this one is yours." Guy handed me my jersey. #14 with James embroidered across the back. I smiled so big that I thought I was stuck like that.

—-
We regally made our way back into the ice. As we skated back out the whole crowd cheered for us. I stopped and so did Guy. We just stood there is awe of the fact that we were being cheered for by thousands and thousands of people. We turned to glance at eachother, smiled, then skated to the bench.

"Indiana." Coach said. I perked up right away. "I know I haven't been putting you in much, but I want you to take the face off."

"For real?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes, for real. Now get on out there and make me proud." I smiled big and skated out to the face off.

The puck was dropped and I quickly passed it making sure we had possession over it.

After a few minutes of play I made my way down the ice, dodging every Iceland player, skating dated and faster as my adrenaline rushed. I made my way to the goal, looped around it and shot it right in.

The whole team cheered and jumped in celebration. I was ecstatic. It was my first goal since my injury and I was stoked that I had achieved it.

The game was rough and the Iceland players were definitely not letting up. I was getting thrown around pretty hard, but I refused to go down that easily.

The game ended in a tie. Which meant we would have to go into overtime. A shoot out. The nerves were at an all time high.

I was the first to shoot. And I was more than relieved when I got it in. I watched as each player went to shoot, one after another.

The last Iceland player was going to take his shot and coach decided to put Julie in at the last minute. Huge mistake! He should have put her in way before. She was amazing.

Either way, she got in the goal and took her stance. Gunnar Stahl skated forward towards the goal. Time was in slow motion as he came closer to the goal.

As he shot the puck, I had lost sight of where it went. I held my breath.

The relief soon washed over me as Julie tossed the puck up into the ice. My eyes widened as I processed that we had won.

We all cheered and skated out onto the ice and celebrated. Guy was jumping up and down with Charlie when I skated over to him.

"Guy." I said.

"Yeah?" He asked while still cheering with Charlie. I took a deep breath before I said what I was about to say.

"I love you."

"What?" He asked in disbelief, while turning to me.

"Yeah. I love you. Like, really really love you. More than anyone. And I have for the longest time and I don't know how you feel about me but I just had to tell you right here, and right now that I love you." I bit my lip as he looked down at me. I saw how open mouth turn into a smile.

"Indie, I have loved you since the day I met you. I've never stopped. I just messed up so much that I was scared to tell you, and I knew if I put it out there, there was no taking it back-" I laughed at his rambling before grabbing his face and kissing him.

Wow, to say the phrase "I love you" and have someone say it back was the most amazing feeling.

——

I walked into the locker room with the rest of my team to get changed. As I was putting all my pads back into my bag, coach came in and told me that someone was waiting for me outside the locker room.

I got up and made my way out the door to see multiple people standing there. I waited for them all to clear away, and when they did only one person remained, facing the opposite direction. The person turned to face me and I felt all the color drain from my face. I felt the nausea start to come on. I felt the cold sweat start to break out.

"Mom?"

——

A/n: hello everyone! This is the end of the book! I really hope you enjoyed. I will be taking a break between this book and the next one. Love you all so much!