Chapter 19

New Amsterdam
Intermediate care - Room

For two hours they now sat together alone in the slightly darkened room. More precisely, Harvey lay in the formerly white shirt with rolled up sleeves next to Elizabeth, who had to exchange her green dress for a blue dotted surgical shirt. Harvey had put his arm around her shoulders. Together they enjoyed their togetherness with memories of their first pregnancy. How they told the others, how Lilly reacted to it and what had changed since then in the relationship with Lilly. They both didn't know how they came up with Lilly. Why? Because it was Harvey's mother and thus Elizabeth's mother-in-law? Because many sections in her life revolved around her?

Suddenly, the room door was pushed open and a bed was pushed in. Elizabeth wiped away her last tear and took a closer look. It wasn't Louis. It was a woman. Black shoulder-length hair. The same pattern on the op shirt as with Elizabeth. The duvet was pulled over the arched belly. The two nurses hurriedly put the monitors in the wall mount. Harvey had sat down on the edge of the bed at Elizabeth's side. Elizabeth's arm was wrapped around his belly as if she had to stop him from getting up. But she didn't have to, because Harvey sat quietly on the edge of the bed. His hand was over her arm. Both knew this woman.

What about her?" Elizabeth asked when she had gathered all the courage. But did she really want to know that?

She was operated on a gunshot wound to her leg and will still sleep a little. If she is in pain, please ring the bell."

Both nodded silently and the nurse left the room in a hurry. Elizabeth thought she noticed how Harvey pulled it to this woman and pulled her arm back from his lap. „Now go over to her. She doesn't have anyone but us right now."

Harvey looked at Elizabeth skeptically, as if he would get permission to do something forbidden. But he didn't move.

Harvey, it's Scottie, she's not a stranger."

With these words, a smile came over his face. For him, Scottie had now become a stranger. With the last meeting, he had finally finished with their relationship. She had married someone she loved and that wasn't him. She had actually used his girlfriend to win a negotiation. That was too much. Harvey didn't have to go to the other bed now. He felt comfortable with Elizabeth on the edge of the bed. He held her hand and looked at her. „Her values look good. She needs peace and quiet."

Maybe it was this whole crazy day that messed up Elizabeth's feelings or her little growing dwarf in her belly playing tennis with her hormones. In any case, Elizabeth felt worse from minute to minute. She was nauseous, dizzy and again and again she had heart palpitations.

It felt a little like it did 2 years ago. Although Harvey was also sitting on her bed tonight, this time Scottie, his childhood love, was injured in sight and freshly operated on in the other bed. A deep stab pierced her heart and took her breath away. Elizabeth tried not to let it be noted.

Why are you sending me back to Scottie?" Harvey suddenly said calmly.

Elizabeth looked at him sadly and was silent, because she had understood what he was alluding to. There were so many days in her relationship when she doubted his love, they usually just passed by. But there was a day in her life when she sent Harvey away before anything else could happen. She thought he deserved something better. Something better than her.

Harvey took Elizabeth's hand and looked at her thoughtfully: „I chose you. You should know that at the latest since that special day in winter, because since then I have been wearing this ring every day." Harvey held his hand to Elizabeth with his wedding ring. „I love you now as much as I did then." He gently gave her a kiss on the forehead.