Chapter 5

Since the evening a week ago when Jessica was admitted to the hospital with labor, Elizabeth no longer found sleep. The vomiting had stopped and Elizabeth went back to work, but every day, that moved closer to the trial of the blackmail by Inez and to the publication of Harvey's illness in the Times, became harder. She fled to her work and a lot of closeness to Harvey to forget everything. Above all, however, she forgot about herself. Even if Harvey didn't see it and Elizabeth didn't want to see it, there were other good friends who also paid attention to the little things in life.

Mike and Donna have been trying to find out for 1 week what was wrong with Elizabeth. Not only the dramatic weight loss in a short time, but also their tired eyes, the pale almost gray skin color and her almost wordless rather sad-looking encounters, worried the two. If they spoke to Harvey about it, he reassured the two again and again. And even when Elizabeth answered, reassuring words came. Both therefore decided to show Harvey and Elizabeth that there was more than work and that they should take more care of themselves again. So they decided to have a couple's evening at which Mike introduces Katherina.

Elizabeth, who longed for distraction from all these thoughts around Harvey's statement, agreed after Harvey made the proposal to her.

——————

It was a perfect evening for Elizabeth. Despite her work at New Amsterdam, she had managed to conjure up a 4-course menu. Elizabeth felt good when the guests arrived, because she had also found time to put on a perfect dress and style her hair. Harvey had lovingly taken care of Jacob and successfully put him to bed.

All her sad thoughts of the last few days had suddenly disappeared. Lost in the entertaining conversations and the cheerful faces at the dining table. Not a word about Inez, Harvey or the blackmail. Not a word about Harvey's illness.

But Harvey kept looking at Elizabeth thoughtfully. For the first time in days, he noticed that the pale sunken cheeks stood out under her delicate make-up. Although she smiled, her natural shine in her eyes was gone. Throughout the evening she was friendly and accommodating, stood up again and again to host the guests. And when she sat, Harvey put his hand protectively over her hand, which was on the table, every now and then. She was cold. And whenever his big warm hand covered her, Elizabeth flowed through a pleasant warmth and she smiled at him, no matter what the others were saying. The long sleeves of her dark green evening dress could cover the thin arms, but they did not bring enough warmth. When she got something out of the kitchen and sat down at the table again, she gently stroked Harvey's back.

The conversations at the table were now very legal and business, Elizabeth could only keep up to a limited extent and tried to stay in conversation with Donna, which unfortunately was not well possible across the table. But then the topic of the conversation went in the direction of the process around Mike's ex-girlfriend. Of course, everything remained very general, because of the duty of confidentiality. Katherina and Simon, for example, did not know that Harvey would testify in 2 days and also did not know what role Mike could play in the trial. But the mood was so relaxed that Katherina actually got carried away with some alcohol in her blood to a question that she would soon regret in two ways.

Harvey, you now know Mike best from all of us and the longest. As a best friend, you probably know everything about him. Katherina said and it became very quiet at the table. Everyone was eagerly waiting to see what she was getting at. Should I now be afraid of the trial of his ex-girlfriend Inez Wood and what it brings to light or rather of Mike having a relationship with this woman?

Harvey didn't sweat on the question, because he wouldn't fall into his friend's back. Mike would have to find out for himself if he wanted to keep Katherina as a friend if she had such mistrust in him. Mike had placed so much trust in her that she was actually invited to Harvey's house that evening, not quite 3 months after they met.