Chapter 16

New York City

Jessica Pearson stood speechless in her New York 10 million townhouse in front of her huge flat screen TV, which hung on the wall, and listened attentively to the presenter. The 3-month-old twins, Olivia Julie and James Oliver, had just taken to take a nap and the AuPair girl would monitor their from now on. In her right hand, Jessica held her golden glittering cell phone trembling.

The person you have called is not available.

It sounded from the cell phone again and again.

The person you have called is not available.

The sirens from the TV and the excited reporter drowned out her thoughts. But she didn't hear the exact words, because Jessica continued to try to see clearly. She couldn't look away. She had to understand it. In the pictures you could see screaming fleeing people walking across the forecourt of the Supreme Court. They came from the large white venerable building. You could hear shots again and again. Police officers tried to block the square in the chaos and get an overview. And again and again these sirens. The banner at the bottom of the screen said: Shots in the New York Supreme Court - at least 10 dead and many injured - the assassins are still in the building.

*Ring* by vibrating her cell phone, Jessica was once again torn out of her thoughts. *Jeff*

Jeff?

Yes, Jessica. I'm fine. I'm in the office. I also see the TV pictures and the breaking news and just wanted to tell you that you don't have to worry about me.

At that moment, with these words, tears came to Jessica's eyes and she sat down with relief on the couch in front of the TV. She had now turned her gaze away from the TV and looked silently through the window into the sky of this sunny September day.

Jessica? Everything will be fine!

Jessica still did not answer.

Jessica? Say something! Should I come over?

No, Jeff. She finally said, stay in the office. Do you know where Harvey is this morning?

Jeff was silent, because he now knew exactly who from the law firm was in court that morning. Through the large glass wall of his office, he looked out resignedly into the deserted hallway of the law firm. How was he supposed to tell her?

He was in court? Is that right? Jessica asked in a slightly trembling voice.

Yes, Jeff admitted, then he remained silent again. As well as Mike and Louis.

Jessica was silent. The sirens and shots from the TV came to the fore again. About 10 kilometers away, in the office, at the other end of the phone, Jeff perceived her mood and tried to find soothing words. Jessica? I'll take care of it. I haven't received any news so far. I'll get back to you as soon as I know something.

Okay, Jessica said and hung up. Immediately her trembling fingers dialed the number again: *Harvey*

The person you have called is not available. The person you have called is not available.

——————

New Amsterdam - Court of the emergency room

Harvey sat with his back and his head leaning against the beige house wall on the bitumen floor next to the entrance to the emergency room of the New Amsterdam Hospital. Far and wide there was no ambulance to see.