Chapter 9

Mt. Sinai - Oncology

Elizabeth and Harvey sat next to each other on the couch of the patient lounge of the oncological private ward. This room was almost like a second home for the two for the last year, but meanwhile all their friends from intensive therapy and except Elaine were tumor-free in aftercare, so it seemed scary to sit here alone.

That morning there was a bad thaw in New York. The snow melted under the continuous rain into brown mud. Meanwhile, Elizabeth had gently placed her head on Harvey's strong shoulder and he had put his arm around her shoulder.

Let's fly to Europe. Elizabeth said quietly into the silence. To Paris or Rome.

Harvey held her hand firmly in his and smiled. Then he gave her a kiss on her head and Elizabeth closed her eyes. So they sat undisturbed in the deserted lounge for a while. The water dispenser bubbled in the corner and the only light came through the huge windows, but not much light fell through the thick dark rain clouds.

The ringing of Harvey's cell phone tore both of their thoughts about the MRI findings, which they had been waiting for for over an hour, and Harvey's new leg pain, which he had for almost 2 weeks. It was 20% of the patients who were still alive 5 years after a recurrence. No matter with which of the hard therapies - whether repeated amputation, radiation or stem cell therapy. Elizabeth hadn't given Harvey the numbers yet, but at some point he will ask, then she had to.

Travis. Harvey said to the phone while sitting quietly on the couch.

When?

Does Mike already know?

Okay, I'll see you.

Harvey hung up and said to Elizabeth: Paris is supposed to be a beautiful city.

Fine, said Elizabeth and closed her eyes again with satisfaction.

When the door opened a short time later and Dr. Gabriel entered, they were both wide awake. They greeted each other like old acquaintances.

I'm sorry I had to keep you waiting so long. Said Dr. Gabriel and all 3 sat around the coffee table. A tense silence occurred.

Harvey began: Where does my pain come from?

So first of all, it's not a recurrence. There is no new or old tumor that makes life difficult for you. Said Dr. Gabriel and redeemed both of them. Harvey and Elizabeth's hands merged. They smiled at each other with relief. All the sad thoughts dissolved. Only a small tear rose in Elizabeth's eye. You can see a significant reduction in bone stability and reconstruction processes through the prosthesis, sometimes misalignments or overloads of the lower leg stump through the prosthesis.

We already adjusted the prosthesis last week. Elizabeth said.

That's good, but the stump needs relief. You should not wear a prosthesis for a week. Dr. Gabriel said insistently to Harvey.

That's not possible, Elizabeth said spontaneously while Harvey buried his head in his hands.

However, it must, otherwise there may be overload fractures, then it will be longer than just a week. Dr. Gabriel said to Elizabeth. Here are additional tablets to strengthen the bone. Phosphate, calcium and vitamin D are highly dosed. Meanwhile, he put 3 boxes of medication on the table.

Elizabeth wanted to disagree, but Harvey squeezed her hand and said to Dr. Gabriel. Thank you. I can do that. The next MRI is in 8 weeks. Right?

Yes, that's right.