The Yule Ball

"Right just ask her, Freddie or I will." Said George.

"No way, she'll say no. She'll say no, I'll die of embarrassment and even if she said yes, then Ron would absolutely murder me. And I mean, look at her, Georgie. Someone's probably already asked her." Fred sighed.

"Yeah but it's her you want to take." Said George.

"Fine, but what do I even say?" He asked.

"What's in your heart. That you lurrrve her, you want to huuuug her, you want to kiiiiss her you want to fuuu..."

"Shut up, George!" Fred hissed.

"Okay okay, just tell her how you feel. Chicks LOVE romantic crap."

"I'm asking her to the dance not asking her to marry me." Said Fred.

"Just tell her what's in your heart. If she rejects you that's her loss." Said George.

Hermione's POV

I was just sitting in the library minding my own business. When I was interrupted.

"Hi, Granger." Said a voice behind me.

"Fred?" I asked, turning around.

"Yeah, I um...I wanted to give you something." He said. He didn't seem himself, he was nervous. He was as pale as a sheet.

"You look like you're gonna pass out." I said. "C'mon, sit down." I said, pulling him up a chair.

He sat down. I was really worried about him. He was shaking a little and some of his hair was sticking to his forehead with sweat. "What's wrong? Do you want to talk about it?"

He was usually so full of life and energy but today, he was totally different. I didn't really know what to do so I just wrapped my arms around him and hugged him. In all honesty, I had no idea how he would react. He squeezed me gently and I could hear his accelerated heartbeat.

"Nah, it's um...it's all good, I just wanted to lend you a book I think you might like." He said.

"A book? I didn't know you even knew what a book was." I chuckled.

He smiled. That was good, right?

"Yeah it's just one of mine...it's on my year's syllabus so I thought you might want to get a little head start...not that you need it, but I think page 40 might interest you...or it might not, it depends how you feel and it's totally fine if it doesn't because I don't want it to um...ruin anything, but have a look at page 40 if...if you want. Because it's something you really need to know." He was rambling. He seemed to be really nervous and worried about something.

"Okay, thank you." I said.

"Do you wanna stay here? We could go through it together. Because you really don't look well, Fred." I said.

"No actually, I feel miles better, I'm just going to...errr...find George. Y'know people to prank and all." And with that, he got up from his chair and left.

'Weird.' I thought to myself. I opened the book to page 40 and there was a folded up piece of parchment that said 'Granger.' On it. I opened it up and began to read.

Hermione,

I've been thinking of asking this for a little while now and George has really been pushing me to it but if by some miracle you haven't already been asked (because look at you) I'd really like it if we could go to the ball together. It's okay if you don't want to, I'm your best friend's older brother and I understand if that makes it awkward for you. Just if you're not up for it, please don't hate me. The last thing I'd want to do is make things awkward and uncomfortable or lose you as a friend.