Soul Spell VI

"It began with when I saved you. Fred, I just...I didn't want you to die." She started crying.

"I know and you saved me." He said, softly. "I owe you my life."

She started sobbing uncontrollably. "I couldn't live without you, I just couldn't." She cried. She clung onto him.

"Hermione, how did you save me?" He asked, his tone dropping and his eyes darkening.

"The spell, I...it was really dangerous, I just didn't want you to die."

"What spell?"

"A-a-anima vinculum" she stammered. "It's a healing spell that heals all wounds...anything..inside and out, so feelings as well. It does it by...transferring a part of your life energy into the one you..."

"The one you what?" He asked.

"But if the other person doesn't feel the same way, it eats at your life energy and uses it up, so whenever you're sad or hurt, my life force heals you, but because you don't feel the same way, yours won't heal me. It's meant for soulmates so it means I can never love anyone else but it's the only thing I could think of."

"Hermione, you idiot." He sighed. "And you didn't think to tell me?"

"I'm sorry, I just...didn't want you to die." She cried hysterically.

"But you're torturing yourself." He said. He started crying. "Just so I can be alive. That's the rest of your life Hermione, that could kill you." He said, raising his voice. "Is that really a better option than me dying?"

Hermione nodded. "Fred. I couldn't live without you."

"You aren't living without me, Hermione. You're barely living at all with me, that's worse."He was starting to get angry. A type of anger he'd never felt before.

"No, no it's not, Fred."

"How? How is that right, Hermione, I...this is unforgivable, why? Why did you do this?"

"Because I'm in love with you, Fred, I always have been. That's what saved you, not some clever death evading spell. I didn't tell you because I know you don't feel as strongly as I feel and you'd beat yourself up about it and it'd hurt me more." She said, weakly. "I thought you were my soulmate but I'm not yours but you know what? I'm just fine with that because if it means you're still around then it's worth all the pain." She sobbed.

The pain tore through her as Fred's emotions let loose. She keeled over.

"Hermione, please stop, I'm sorry." He begged, but he couldn't stop worrying, so her life force kept on draining and draining.

"I didn't want you to die, Fred." She whispered.

"Someone do something, please!" He shouted.

Everybody came rushing back into the room. She was dying, it was unbearable to watch and the more Fred worried the weaker she got.

She was shaking and sweating and black veins started to creep up her neck and face. Her eyes became an inky purple and there was next to no life left in her.

"Just kiss her for Christ's sake, Fred!" Yelled George

"Fred, I'm sorry." She whispered. "This wasn't your fault. Before I die, I want you to know..." she said weakly.

"Shhh Hermione, you're not going anywhere. You saved me, Granger. You do every day so please, just this once, let me save you." Said Fred, holding her hand and stroking her hair out of her face. There were tears in his eyes.

"I need, I need you to.." she started.

"Hermione Granger, I think what you need is your carer." He said softly with a wink.

His lips dove onto hers, softer and more passionate than ever. They both glowed brightly, a blinding purple light filled the room. Fred didn't stop kissing her, even when she sat up and started kissing back and the light faded.

"Eerrrm Freddie, you can stop now I think she's awake." Said George.

"No I can't." He said, kissing her still.

"I think we best leave them to it." Said Molly.

They left Hermione and Fred kissing on the sofa, holding each other. Hermione's wounds had disappeared along with the black veins that had been etched on her face. All that remained was just her and Fred Weasley, not daring to let each other go.