CHP.11 [Troubling Individuals PT.1]

A couple of weeks have passed since the Kyouryu Medal Incident and Kris seems to have returned to his usual self, almost like he forgot it even happened. During those weeks, he had also moved into Team RWBY's dorm and much like the chaotic nature of their dorm, his bed was of course in the weirdest of places. And by bed, it's actually just his mattress residing under Weiss' bed which sounds impossible given how small the space is under there. Right now, all the first year students had gathered in the hall under Professor Glynda's order to witness the mock battle between Jaune Arc and Cardin Winchester. The former charged at Cardin before swinging his sword which he dodged before hitting Jaune with his mace for a weapon.

Jaune lost his shield as he was sent flying after the hit. He quickly got up and ran towards Cardin again, raising his sword high for an overhead slash. As Kris observed the fight from the crowd, he commented to himself how Jaune's strategy seems to be very ineffective. His comment was proven true as when Jaune goes in to attack, Cardin stopped his sword with the handle of his mace. He pushed against Jaune's sword and proclaims to him "This is the part, where you lose". Jaune refused to submit to his lost by saying "Over my dead body", but he was then interrupted by being kneed in the stomach.

He clutched his stomach as he fell down on his side, wincing from the pain. And when looking back at his opponent, Cardin raised his mace to deliver the finishing blow before a buzzer went off as the hall lights turned on. As well as Professor Glynda, telling both combatants that's enough. "Students. As you can see, Mr Arc's aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament style duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle and that the official may call the match."

Jaune slowly push himself from the floor to sit up, he looked at Phyrra with shame due to his lost. "Mr Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your aura will help you decide when it is appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more defensive strategy."

Jaune took out his Scroll and check the displayed screen, showing an icon with his face and gauge, and icons and gauges of his team members.

"We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a beowolf, now, would we?".

Cardin swung his mace over his shoulder before walking off the stage. "Speak for yourself...!" He said as he leaves. Professor Glynda then reminds the students of the up and coming Vytal Festival, which got everyone excited. "Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!". Though, Phyrra was still frowning for Jaune, who still sat down with his head hanging in shame.
_________________________________________

"So! There we were, in the middle of the night..."

"It was day."

Both Team RWBY (And Kris) and Team JNPR were in the cafeteria after the bell rang not too long ago, Nora was telling her story where she and Ren encountered Grimms. Though, it appears this story isn't what it seems as Ren interrupts and corrects her every sentence.

"We were surrounded by Ursai..."

"They were Beowolves"

"Dozens of them!" She scream as she stood up on both Team's tables. Though not a single member from both Teams (aside from Yang and to an extent, Ren) payed any attention to her. Blake was reading a book, Weiss was filing her nails, Phyrra and Ruby were worried about Jaune who was messing with his food and Kris was playing a game on his Scroll.

"Two of them" Ren continues to correct her.

"But they were no match... And in the end, Ren and I took them down and made a boatload of Lien selling Ursa skin rugs". Ren sighed before explaining Nora has been having that dream for nearly a month. Phyrra then asks Jaune if he was okay, making him snap out of his sulking. "Huh? Oh, yeah! Why?" He asked.

Ruby then tells him that he seems "not okay", to which Kris then chimes in saying that "depressed" might be the better word to describe Jaune's mood, which got him a chastising from Ruby. "Guys, I'm fine. Seriously! Look!" Jaune holds up his thumb while giving his friends a nervous laugh. It was then where his attention was brought to the sounds of Cardin's laughter, and saw his team harassing a female student with long brown hair a pair of rabbit ears, which one of his teammates mock her for.

His friends obviously knew Cardin is bothering him as Pyrrha tells her leader that Cardin has been picking on him since the first week of school. Jaune rebuts this by saying that he just likes playing practical jokes, to which Ruby intervenes to say that he's a bully. Jaune scoffs, before asking his friends to name one time where Cardin bullied him.

And that was where Kris came in, he cleared his throat which got the attention of both teams. He exited his game before going into his gallery and hands the device to Jaune. "Watch this..." He simply spoke and Jaune took his friend's Scroll and plays the video. The video showcased recordings of several times Cardin bullied the blonde boy. Going from activating his weapon as he passed through a doorway which got it stuck, to being locked inside the locker before said locker then blasted off far away from Beacon.

"You were there when it happened and you did nothing?" Ruby asked and Kris replied that it was indeed funny seeing Jaune being blasted off into the skies but he thought Jaune would've realized sooner that it has gone past from being "practical jokes" at that point. Phyrra looks back to Jaune and informs him to ask them if he ever needs help. Nora then suggest excitingly they should break Cardin's legs. "Guys, really, it's fine! Besides, it's not like he's only a jerk to me, he's a jerk to everyone" Jaune explains.

"Ow! That hurts!"

They then turn their attention to the voice crying for help. Cardin was pulling on the rabbit girl's ears as the laughter from him and his team grew louder. The girl pleaded them to stop but Cardin did not let go, he turn to face his friends before saying, "See? I told they were real!". One of his friends who's still guffawing with the others called the girl a freak. Cardin finally let's go of the girl's ears, who then quickly hurries off with her head bowed down. "That's it, I've had enough of him..." Kris sighed as he stood up. "K-Kris?" Phyrra uttered, which earned her the answer "I'll be right back...".

As Cardin and his group still mock about the girl's features, he then felt his own ear being twisted and pulled. He yelled in pain before looking over his shoulder and see Kris. Cardin's group were also caught surprise by his sudden appearance. "Feels pretty good, doesn't it?" He taunted Cardin, who proceeded to shook his hand off before turning to face him as he hold a hand over his pained ear. "Why you! And who do you think you are?" Cardin asked in irritation. "If you could land a hit on me, I'll tell you. Unless you're of course, scared" Kris went to taunt him even more, and Cardin took his challenge as he quickly approached him before going to swing his fist.

Only for Kris to easily step aside before putting a foot out for Cardin to trip over, creating a loud thud once he hit the floor. A few faint chuckles and snickers were heard after it happened and Kris looked down at Cardin before looking over his team. "So are you going to help out your boss or do you want me to pummel him even more?" He asked. After a quick discussion, they decided to help Cardin up after Kris took a step back but as they helped him up, Cardin pushed them away before he walked away from the cafeteria. His team followed after him and Kris utters under his breathe, "Serves him right..." before going back to his table to pick up his tray. He looks over to Jaune before telling him "And that, is how you deal with Cardin", before heading off.

"That seemed... personal..." Jaune commented before Ruby added that Kris once had a history of being bullied. "He really doesn't seem to hide a whole of things, huh?" Yang asked, which everyone then looked to each other before back to Yang and replying with "No" or other variation of the word.

[To Be Continued]