|64|

Happy Friday the 13th!

If procrastination was a chapter, this one's it.

I was lost for words—still. I was catching flies instead, with my mouth agape as I stared at him in disbelief. The silence came between us in the form of a soft breeze. I took the moment to take him in. He didn't seem different. He looked a little pale, though. And the skin on his right knuckles were torn. Red. Bloodied. But nothing on his facial expression indicated he had smashed someone's face in five minutes ago. I needed to know his secret of how to do that. But before all that...

"You're an asshole!" I struck him. Those shitty two weeks were balled up, trapped in my fist, and eager to plant them into Lee's cheek. But Lee had other plans and intercepted my fist with a firm grip on my wrist and yanked me closer. I crashed into his chest, and we tumbled into an alley, hidden from the nightlife in front of Leviathan's doorstep. 

The alley smelled of wet pavement from an earlier rain shower, and trash. Further down, a security lamp was mounted above one of the exits of the club. The dim lighting occasionally flickered on and off but besides that, there was only darkness.

"I think I've had enough violence for the upcoming months," he muttered, his eyes met mine. Lee kept me close, not letting go, and continued, "You look like shit. Still having trouble falling asleep?"

Anger and frustration seared through me, and I freed myself of his grasp, then pushed him back against his chest. His back hit the brick wall, and I noticed how his lip curled up and his eyes fluttered shut. "Are you mocking me right now?"

"It was a genuine question." The frown cleared from his forehead, his eyes back on me.

"Well, it didn't sound genuine. But to answer your sincerity: no, I'm living on my last reserves. But you don't look so hot yourself if this is the card we are pulling."

The corners of his lips quirked up into a boyish smile. More annoyance bubbled through my blood. Why was he so infuriating?

"Thank you."

"What?"

"...For noticing. The Hwang I know doesn't pay attention to others."

"That's what you get out of this?"

Lee gave me a single nod.

"You're insane..." My attention drifted off to the side of his body, toward his bloodied hand.

"Clearly," he breathed after a short silence.

"Care to explain why you beat Yang into the hospital?"

"He deserved it."

"And why is that?"

"Because the footage got out."