Chapter 5 - DAVID☁️

CEO Kim looks at us like we hold the secrets to the universe. The five of us face him, and our various postures speak of our nerves, and the fact that we almost died in a blackout. The blackout, covering us in mystery, felt like trying to swim through a mud pit, all limbs and no clear direction. I sweep the bangs out of my eyes, grounding myself in Seiya being beside me.

Strange things are happening in AWE Entertainment, and all I can do is ask God to protect us.

The rubber band on my hair seems to tighten on its own, and I wonder if leaving this hairstyle on was a mistake, whether my lock of hair jumpstarted all the anomalies of today. I wait for our CEO to speak, trying not to daydream—my biggest weakness of all.

Maybe my biggest strength too.

"I don't want to hold you guys for too long," CEO Kim says. "Have you all thought of a name? I've several options. But I don't want to choose on my own."

"How about..." Corrin stammers. "I don't know. Apple Hair?"

"Apple hair!" CEO Kim turns to stare at my hairstyle. "And how did you stumble upon that name?"

"Um." I clear my throat. "Maybe it's not a coincidence that I'm wearing apple hair on the day that we're deciding our name. Maybe it's fate."

"Maybe." CEO Kim strokes his imaginary goatee. "I need at least one other reason besides you wearing it today."

I scramble for the first thing that comes to mind. Grasping hold of it, the words fall out naturally, like dropping pieces of glitter into the mud pit. "Well—A for Apple. It can also stand for Asian. Hair for H, which means that we're all from Hawaii. Asian Americans from Hawaii, all in a group together."

"Simple yet profound," CEO Kim says. "Interesting. Very interesting. I don't even need to give you the list of names on my end. I love it so much that we'll make it official."

"Really?" I say.

"Really," he says. "Well, you guys can go. I'll be updating the team on your name and getting started on branding. Boring CEO stuff."

I take one last glance at the middle aged Korean man, who rocks the silver of his hair which matches with his tie. His black suit hugs his medium sized frame. He looks straight at me, or maybe at my hair. He captures my disposition and probably compares me to the dozens of recent trainees he hired, and I wonder what I need to do to stand out. Maybe I need to wear a more convincing costume next time, in addition to apple hair. Again, the rubber band tightens.

Outside, Van rubs the back of his head. "Well. That day was... interesting. How about we all head back home and catch some sleep?"

On the way to the elevator, I notice a dark oak door that says "Library" in cursive, carved into the surface. A thought comes to me, as if carried in rushing wind into my ear. "Guys. We always said we wanted to make our own universe for our fans. How about we write a few things down in the library? I brought my notebook with me."

"Good idea," Seiya says. He taps me on the back, which brings a spark that travels down my tailbone and throughout my shoulders. His touch, like unfiltered sunlight, beckons me to put up some kind of protection—a defense, no matter how vain.

The other guys don't object, even if they do nod very sleepily. Kaden opens the door to the library, and we all head inside. The darkness in the room vanishes as I switch on the light, as if retreating. Three bookshelves stand in an open triangle, and three glass windows overlook Ala Moana Beach Park.

I take out my notebook, sitting around the only table in the room, which just so happens to have five chairs. As the guys join me, I will my imagination to put away the fear of another blackout. It feels safe here though, and maybe the five of us hold the power to make any place feel safe—like owners of a sacred talisman.