Chapter 4 - SEIYA🔥

Bro. The polyglot instructor could kill with his razor-sharp looks.

With dreadlocks tied up into a ponytail, and a fancy blue dress shirt and black slacks, he first introduces himself as Cory Matthews and comments about being AWE's first black language instructor. He speaks with pride, like he really owns his position. That's fire.

David sits next to me as we read our vocabulary for the day. Our language classes are going to rotate once we get a handle on things, but the first language we're focusing on is Korean. Probably because our company was founded because of K-pop. And we're planning to visit for training in the future.

David's Korean and the only one who could probably read the text in front of him. I scoot my chair closer to him and lower my voice. "Dude. How do you read this again?"

He gives me a little smile, tilting his head from left to right. I've always found him cute, and he gives me butterflies. Just saying.

He still has that tie in his hair that Armani gave him. Is it crazy that I want to reach out and flick it? Probably.

After David helps me with the first few sentences on my worksheet, Cory shows off his mad skills by reading a Korean poem. His pronunciation sounds like water, completely smooth. So cool.

"I've been thinking," Cory says in English. "Each group has their own concept. I know this isn't exactly related to language, but why don't you guys begin to think about your story?"

The room quiets as everyone begins to think. Corrin raises his hand. "I love that idea! In fact, why don't we start now?"

"Now?" I look toward my worksheet, filled with indecipherable marks. God. Maybe I do need a distraction.

"How about we come up with the first line?" Cory Matthews says. "The first line sets the tone for the whole story."

David lets out a sweet laugh. "Why don't we write it on the whiteboard?"

Because David's mad cute, I raise my hand and agree. Cory passes me the Expo marker and asks me to stand. I head over with a weird buzz in my hands and feet, like I'm about to do something big.

I place the marker, dark blue, on the board. Even though writing's not my thing, I know what to write. I want my group to be one thing—interesting. The guys and I all decided we want to create our own universe. Cory's right. Why not start now?

The marker lets out a squeak on the board. Bruh. I shiver from the sound, and Cory Matthews says, "Go on."

I write. It was the dead of night.

As soon as I poke the board to make the period, the lights in the room completely go out. A cold wind rushes into the classroom. Damn. I think Corrin squeals, and someone else—either Van or Kaden, bangs their desk with their knee.

"What's going on?" I say, half expecting Cory to answer and make everything right and cool again.

"Um." Cory doesn't sound surprised. "I'll go check the electricity. Wait here."

If you dare.

The voice is creepy as hell, and it's my second time hearing it. I tug at my stud earring and flip my hair back as our teacher heads outside.

"This day is not normal," Kaden says. "Could it really be because of sleep deprivation?"

"Hm." David taps his fingers on the desk—at least, I think. "I don't think so. I think this is happening because we're about to choose our name. Weird things always happen when people are about to do something big."