Chapter 45

'Finally!'

I ran as fast as I could sliding to a stop in the middle of the clearing where we first started. All of the main characters as well as two of the Master's children were already there except for Tanjiro. But I had a feeling he'd be arriving any minute. I heard a rustling in from the bushes a couple seconds later Tanjiro came out. Well think of the devil and he shall appear. Tanjiro looked around assessing who made it through. The minute he saw me he scampered over to me. 

"There's so few of us compared to when we first came." 

I nodded. 

"that's why Urokodaki was so hesitant about sending us there. Many of his students passed away in final selection." 

Tanjiro frowned no doubt thinking about the hand demon. We both snapped out of our thoughts hearing the master's children speaking. 

"Welcome back everyone." 

"And congratulations we're pleased to see your safe."  

A boy wearing a purple kimono spoke out. 

"So I made it back alive, what do I do now?" 

'Genya.' 

"Patience. We must first issue you all uniforms." 

"We'll start by taking your measurements, then we'll engrave the back of your hand with your rank." 

"For your reference there are ten ranks in total." 

"Kinoe." 

"kinoto." 

"hinoe." 

"hinoto." 

"tsuchinoe." 

"tsuchinoto." 

"kanoe." 

"kanoto." 

"mizue." 

"mizunoto." 

"You all start as mizunoto. this is the lowest rank in the demon slayer core." 

"And our swords!" 

I sigh. I know he's eager to get into the field but he needs rest; all of us do. 

"In a moment you'll be given the chance to select the ore that you're swords will be made out of. However it will be ten to fifteen days till the swords will be ready for you." 

"Uhg really." 

I look out of the corner of my eye at Genya. He was gritting his teeth his patience is wearing thin 

"but first..." 

one of the children clapped their hands. I heard the fermiler caws of crows as they flew down. 

"Now that you're demon slayers, you shall each receive a crow." 

"We receive crows, what for?" 

Tanjiro spoke out. 

"These crows are primarily used for communication." 

"Wait crows, isn't this a sparrow?" 

Zenitsu held up his hand that the sparrow was perched on looking at it skeptically. My eyes widened as I spotted a fermiler crow flying among them it was a little behind the others. I held up my arm already waiting for them to descend. 

"Yuki it's good to see you." 

My voice was soft as yuki took a perch on my shoulder nuzzling his head against my cheek.