Chapter 12

The next day after I finished all my chores I finally had time to get the fabric ready to start sewing the new yukatas for Giyuu and Sabito. It'll take some time but I should have it done by the end of this month. After Giyuu and Sabito go to bed I light a candle and begin working on the yukatas. As I do I contemplated on what to do about the "future." It's becoming noticeable how fast the two are progressing. Sabito has currently managed to execute 5 of the 10 forms and Giyuu 4. It won't be too long until they'll have to cut the bolder. Even if it will take them time to do so it still unsettles me the thought of what's to come. I suddenly hear labored breathing and someone sitting up. I set my sewing aside and move the certain to see Sabito sitting up he was sweating and pail as a ghost. 

"Sabito?" 

"Y/n, why are you still up, you should be sleeping." 

I stare at him. 

"you had a nightmare I'm sorry I should have woken you up." 

He takes a deep breath in and out running his hand through his hair frowning. 

"It's fine you shouldn't worry about it. It was just a dream." 

"Do you want to talk about it?" 

"Not really." 

I get up carefully shuffling past Giyuu taking extra care not to accidentally wake him. They were both light sleepers a good thing when a swordsman it can save your life. But somewhat of a pain when trying to rest. I'm amazed he didn't wake up already. I make my way behind Sabito sitting down. 

"Y/n what-" 

"here." 

I pat my lap. After a few moments of silence he seemed to figure out what I was indicating. 

"you don't need-" 

"you trust me right?" 

I interrupted him mid sentence, knowing he would try to decline. 

"Yes but..." 

I give him a long stare he seemed to give up after a moment laying back down his head on my lap looking up at me. I begin to lightly comb through his hair with my fingers. at first he stiffened at my touch but slowly began to relax, before I started to talking softly so as not to wake Giyuu.

"You know this is what my mother and sisters would do when I had a nightmare or couldn't sleep. It always eased my mind. Sometimes they would sing too." 

"You had sisters?" 

"In a way, we weren't related, but the minute we're taken into the house it's the closest thing we have to family. I was very lucky I got to stay with my mother at all." 

"What were your nightmares about?" 

he looked at me curiously. 

"The future I would've had if I stayed there. I sometimes would be so scared of it, that I would wish I could disappear. So I applied myself to work as hard as I could to master everything I would need in order to survive and find a way out." 

"Why not just leave then?" 

I look down at him sadly. 

"it doesn't work like that where I was born."  

He frowned. 

"It's complicated don't worry though, I'm no longer there so I don't have to worry about it. How about I sing you a song so you can go back to sleep, you have training early tomorrow." 

Getting the hint that I no longer wanted to talk about it. He reluctantly agreed. I continued to run my fingers through his peach colored hair as I sung Scarborough Fair quietly. Sabito looked confused at the lyrics. Not that I can blame him since it was in English but it seemed to slowly relax him and soon he fell asleep. I smile as I take the pillow next to him and carefully move it to where I could shift him back to the pillow. After going back to my side I decided to call it a night and blew out the candle climbing into my futon and falling asleep.