Chapter 23

I got home to urokodaki waiting by the hearth staring at me. In my mind I could already see the disapproving look on his face at my late return. 

"I know, I know, I'm late. But I kinda ran into a little bit of a snag..." 

I trailed off looking away. 

"A snag?" 

"well you see Atsushi was harassing these girls so I stepped in." 

"I sense a but coming." 

I flinched slightly. 

"well... I kinda threw him. But I swear he deserved it he grabbed my chin fist, so I was only defending myself. anyway, you might be hearing from his father or a servant. Although I'm willing to bet that his father will more than likely send a servant over instead to give us some sort of bribe/apology for his son. I'm still going to refuse the gift don't worry." 

Urokodaki shook his head. 

"so I assume you made sure the girls returned safely to where they needed to go." 

"Yeah apparently they were passing through, they were moving with their family." 

I wasn't about to say husband, that would only draw too much attention to them. they didn't need that right now. besides it wasn't a lie either so it wouldn't cause too much trouble. 

"mmm." 

"oh another thing happened though." 

"Hopefully not something that will get you into trouble." 

His voice quiet but I still heard the jab. 

"No, nothing that would get me into trouble! it's a job opportunity. Ran's wife is looking for an assistant with sewing the kimonos that are custom ordered from them. I said I'd give them my answer tomorrow since I wanted to talk about it with you first. It would help with expenses and we'd get a discount from the goods Ran sells." 

"You don't have-" 

"I know but it sounds interesting." 

"Is it something you truly want to do?" 

"Yes. I think it be a great opportunity for learning and it would give me something more to do." 

"If it's something you want to do then I'll support it." 

"Thank you so much!" 

I give him a quick hug before going to the kitchen to start on dinner. But not before he shouts after me. 

"But I'm sending chitose to watch over you from now on!" 

'Seriously!' 

Chitose was urokodaki's crow. He stays with us despite being retired from the corps. Most likely wanting to stay by his masters side. Crows are one of the most loyal comrades and friends you can ever have. I remember him saying once when he officially introduced me to chitose. Chitose immediately recognized me from when he delivered letters to my mother. He flew over making himself comfortable on my shoulder as I stroked his head gently. I smiled at the memory as I cooked. 

"I wondered how Sabito and Giyuu are doing right now? Hopefully they're both okay."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day I set out to the village to give Ran my answer. And of course chitose was flying right above me at a safe distance, keeping a watchful eye on me as per instructed by his master. I sigh looking up.