Chapter Thirteen

With the heroes now being able to go out on their own without Cube pestering them about their safety or past injuries, Orange was by herself as she went to the Celestial Tree. It wasn't a feeling she was used to, being alone, but it wasn't a separation feeling. She drifted towards the roots, gently sitting on one underneath the tree.

"It's been a while," Orange said out loud, drawing her knees to her chest and leaning against the tree's trunk.

The heroes hadn't visited or been able to talk with the tree spirit in many months. A faint buzzing sensation entered Orange's head; a usual sign the tree spirit was active.

She watched as shapes passed by with a few children occasionally pointing at Orange with a jovial expression.

It has been some time, the familiar and soothing voice of the spirit chimed, ringing in Orange's mind.

The spirit had no name that the heroes or Cube knew of, but they named them as such: Spirit. While their voice could not be heard nor reach the minds of anyone outside the select few in Cube's family or the heroes, everyone in Paradise could feel the presence.

"Are you feeling okay? No... side effects or anything?" Orange asked.

I am perfectly well. I was not conscious through the whole ordeal, Spirit explained.

"I was hoping to hear that," she replied, relieved.

The others are not here?

"No, I wanted to come by myself. They'll be here next time I'm sure."

Spirit didn't say anything to this, instead asking another question. Does Cube choose not to answer me?

Orange winced. I guess they didn't know about that, she thought. "It's complicated. He can't hear you anymore, or communicate with you. It was because he was corrupted. He's okay now, and no longer corrupt, but he can't understand us either."

I understand. Thank you for telling me, Spirit said.

"Yeah, no problem," she sighed, feeling tears well up. "If you were unconscious I'm guessing you weren't aware of what went on for six months?"

I was not. I do have the idea of what happened, however. I hear the citizens talking.

"Right, right.... Good then." Orange lifted off the root, moving to step on the ground. "I'll be going. Next time I can definitely bring the others. We can even tell Cube anything you want."

Leaving so soon?

She was focused on wanting to escape as she didn't want to cry in front of the spirit. Fidgeting with her fingers, Orange hurriedly said, "Yes, I'm sorry. But again the others will be here next time. We use sign language to talk with Cube, so you can speak to him through us. How does that sound?"

That sounds like a wonderful idea.

"Cool. I'll see you next time." Quickly readjusting her shirts' sleeves, Orange took off in no particular direction. She fought back tears and eventually calmed down. She didn't know why she got so emotional.

As the sun shone brightly in the mid-afternoon day, and with shapes bustling about, Orange decided to spend a few more hours in the sunlight. She felt far more relaxed being on her own for a while longer. Not sure how to spend the rest of the afternoon, she ended up flying around the town and greeting some of the kids that would get excited.

Maybe I should check on Blixer, she thought. We do have to collectively watch him.

It was a sudden idea but she would leave if no one else besides Blixer was around. Orange felt he wouldn't do anything but she wasn't used to not having Cube around during meetups with Blixer. She flew up higher above the buildings to look for his house, or even spot him in the streets. She was familiar with what the house looked like but not the location.