"I never said I was crazy over her. I said she's a likable person,  that doesn't mean I want to get into her pants."

"You also think she's the prettiest girl at school too don't you?"

"Well...in our year, I guess so."
She shuts her eyes in frustration.
"Jordan, you sound hella jealous right now."

"You wouldn't be able to relate Adonis and it's not just because you're a guy. You've never been cast aside because you're lacking in some area. Just try to imagine how we feel, everyday being compared with Avery. Avery who wouldn't even talk to us. A lot of girls tagged her as a spoilt rich brat because she just walked in and out of school like we were too below her. I want her to be found but I'm not gonna pretend like she's my favorite person okay. I can't like her, it's toxic. I'll always compare myself to her and personally I don't even see what the big deal is about her. She looks like every other Korean girl."

"She's Chinese."

"She is?" She blinks at me. When I nod a mask of silence falls over us.

"I'm not going to judge you Jordan, it must be pretty hard. I get that. Just don't let it make you bitter."

"Yeah...walk me home?" she stands up and offers me her hand.

"Sure." I take it and let her lift me up.

"Are you still down for the concert?"

"Huh?"

"The show on Friday."

"Oh. Oh. I don't know Jords, I'm not really comfortable with partying now." I look down at the purple cloth covering Avery's necklace.

"I get that, it was a dumb idea anyways," she says sheepishly. We walk in silence for the rest of the way until Jordan's house comes in sight.

"Adonis," Jordan pauses in her steps. I halt as well and look down at her.

"Huh?"

She reaches out and slowly takes my hand in hers.

"You can tell me anything you know? You're a really nice person and you're determined to help others...but I know something's bothering you. Whenever you smile there's a side of your lips that never quite curves, like it never really is a smile. Your happiness isn't ever complete and I may not know why but I know you deserve to be really...truly happy."

"Uh–I...gosh–"

Jordan smiles widely, interrupting my thoughts. She quickly closes the gap between us and leans forward so fast that by time I realize what is going on she'd already kissed me. It lasts for like a millisecond before she pulls away.

"Uhh–"

"Bye!" She squeals then immediately takes off, leaving me standing as straight as a rod, wondering what the hell that was.

||

  Mum is watching TV when I walk in. She doesn't look pissed that I'm coming back home minutes after nine when school closed before 3. What she looks like is tired. Tired of waiting up for me to come home. Tired of watching out for her rebellious son.

"Sorry mum," I blurt out, head bent. I haven't even entered the house properly. Mum frowns at me.

"Why? Did something happen?"

"I've been out for long and I didn't call. You must have been worried sick."

"Ya, I trust you you know. Besides, I figured you needed a break from your old mum," she winks at me. I let out a chuckle and go to sit next to her.