[24] Working together

Start from the beginning

Akk knew it would take a lot of courage and willingness to at least try, but in the end he wasn't that brave. He never was. The only person he could sometimes confide in was his neighbor Gumpa. But not even to him Akk dared to tell the whole story.

But besides Gumpa there was still Ayan. The only one who managed to get his trust in such a short time. The only one who could see directly through him and understand him like no one else. The only one who gave him a second chance after everything he had done.

Ayan was something Akk had subconsciously been searching for, without knowing or understanding exactly what. Now Ayan managed to find the missing pieces in his messed up life and carefully put them back together, piece by piece.

Akk promised that he would change. Not just for Ayan, but also for himself. He wanted to change for the better and no longer be afraid of the unknown. He wanted to trust others more and be more open-minded.

"I promise I will stop when everything is cleared out and this school is burning in hell." Ayan said suddenly, snapping Akk out of his thoughts.

"But why not now? Isn't it better to start as soon as possible?"

"You're right, Akk." Ayan began. "But I don't wanna stop drinking. I know this sounds really bad, but everything is just too overwhelming right now. I am constantly stressed and anxious. Plagued by nightmares and panic attacks. I feel like I'm going crazy." Ayan paused for a short moment. Akk tried to grab Ayan's hand to comfort him but he couldn't find it in the darkness and quickly gave up.

"I can't deal with these things at the moment. I know it sounds stupid, but drinking helps me stay alive and distracts me from my problems." Ayan explained everything in a calm tone, but to Akk it sounded more like a desperate cry for help. As if Ayan was drowning and begging for rescue, but inside he already accepted his fate and knew that no one would come to save him. The realization that Ayan believed he couldn't be helped hit Akk again.

"I see, Aye. Even if I don't really agree with what you're doing right now, I won't push you and force you to go to rehab or therapy...Well, that doesn't mean that I don't want you to get help. But...um..." Akk stopped, not really knowing how to continue, when suddenly out of nowhere, Ayan grabbed his hand and stroked it gently, as if he wanted to comfort not just Akk, but himself as well.

"Um...I just wanted to say that no matter what, I'll stay by your side and if you need help I'll will always be there for you." It came suddenly from Akk. He hadn't intended to make his announcement so emotional, and he felt tears welling up in his eyes. Akk didn't know why he was feeling this way right now, but honestly, unlike other times, it felt good to let his feelings out quietly. Maybe because they were in complete darkness and couldn't see each other, or maybe because of the talk they had today. It was as if Akk was finally at peace with himself and starting a new chapter in his life.

"Thank you, Akk. For everything. I will try my best." It came from the other side quietly but Akk could here the genuine honesty in it. He felt Ayan's body relax.

He stroke Ayan's hand back.

"Aye..." Akk called quietly, but the smaller boy didn't answer. It seemed like Ayan had finally fallen asleep. Akk was by himself again. He was thinking about what had happened today and what Ayan had told him in the kitchen.

He came to a conclusion and planned to tell Ayan about it the next day. Satisfied with himself and his new goals, Akk eventually fell asleep as well, still holding Ayan's hand tightly.

I really like you, Aye...

-

The next morning, Akk woke up and for the first time felt surprisingly rested and not exhausted. He didn't know how long he had slept, but the sun was already shining through the sheer curtains, meaning the morning had already passed. Akk was quite surprised at how long and well he slept through the night, because that hadn't been the case for a long time.