Chapter 10: Miracle

Jade

When I woke up, I didn't know where I am. I heard the sound of the machine next to me and the smell of disinfectant. I realized that I am in fact in a hospital, and I remember what happened.

As I looked around the room, I see my dad and Hayden sleeping in chairs by the wall, and then I looked down at the person holding on to my hand.

I knew it was Nika and I am so happy that she is here. I love her and I always want her by my side. I want the world to know how much I love her. I am ready to take the plunge with her. I just hope she knows how much I love and appreciate her.

I decided to make sure that I could still move my legs, feet, toes, neck, arms, hands, and fingers. Which I can and since it hurts I know that I have feeling in them too.

Nika ended up waking up when I moved the hand she was holding. I watched as her eyes opened and got wider. She started to cry, before she said this...

Nika- You're awake. Do you need a drink of water?

My throat was dry, so when I said yes she could barely hear it.

She held the cup and then put the end of the straw to my lips, so I could drink. After that she hit the button for the nurse. And then woke up my dad and brother.

Nika- Hey Jade is awake.

My dad and Hayden jumped out of their chairs to come see me. They also had tears in their eyes.

Dex- You had us worried sick.

Hayden- Seriously and you definitely have the most visitors in the waiting room.

How long have I been unconscious?

Dex- You have been unconscious since the accident last night and it's 8am now. So almost 12 hours.

And you all stayed here with me?

Nika- Of course we all did. We all love you.

Right after Nika said that the nurse came in and saw that I was awake. She told us that she will page for the doctor to come in and check on me.

When she stepped out of the room. I asked them what hospital I am in?

Dex- Washington University Hospital in St. Louis. You were flown here by helicopter, because you had to have brain surgery.

Hayden- Do you remember what happened?

I remember stopping at a stop light, but the car rear ended me and pushed me into the intersection and then I got struck on the side. I think I hit my head on the window, because I watched the car crash into the side of me. But I don't remember anything after that.

When I told them what I remembered, I could see that my memory is correct. I am pretty sure that it's a good sign.

Did they find the person who rear ended me?

Dex- They did and he's in custody. He was drunk when he rear ended you. So he will be facing some jail time.

Hayden- But we are just happy that you are alive.

The moment he said that, the doctor came in and did a quick evaluation. He checked my vitals, and he made sure that I can still see, and made sure that I didn't have any numbness. Plus he made sure that I could move everything.

Doctor- You are beating all of my expectations. This is honestly a miracle.

The last question he asked me was how much do I hurt. I told him that my whole body is sore, but my head feels like it's splitting. He said that he will give me pain medication to help with that. And the body pain is whiplash from the car accident.