CHAPTER 3 - OLD SCARS

CHAPTER 3: OLD SCARS

“Ed?” Tobias said as he watched Edmur breathe heavily, frozen on the bed, “Love, are you okay?” Tobias asked, “Anything hurts? Anything wrong?”

Edmur’s eyes looked around him and when Tobias’s hand found his, he grasped at it tightly, holding it close to his chest as he looked up towards him. “T-…T-Toby…”

“I’m here, Ed. Talk to me?” Tobias said almost desperately.

“Am I out?” Ed asked.

“You are.” Tobias said, leaning over him, cupping his face when he saw the tearful eyes, “I’m right here.”

“Toby…” Edmur’s face twisted as his tears fell.

“Are you okay?” Tobias asked, caressing Ed’s cheek with his thumb, “You can breathe? You don’t feel lightheaded?” Edmur nodded, closing his eyes as more tears fell. “You scared me.” Tobias swallowed thickly, pulling him into a hug, “Oh god, you scared me. You can’t do that. You can’t just do that.”

“Sorry…” Ed muttered, “I… I got stuck…”

“How?” Tobias asked.

Tobias saw Edmur trying to sit, helping him up against the headboard. “I started with Lucius, that vision had Timothy in it, which dragged me into his life, which then dragged me into Renee’s life, which took me to Blayth’s mom, then his dad, then their village, then Zach… and so on. One person, jumping to another, it kept going. It was so odd. That never happened. Usually a vision of one person’s destiny or past at a time.”

“And that far in the past.” Tobias frowned.

“Yeah… takes much more energy.” Edmur sighed.

“How did you get out then?” Tobias asked.

“Zach took me to you, which took me back to myself.” Edmur sighed, taking the glass of water he was handed shakily.

“Liam is almost here…” Renee said as she walked in, trailing off when she saw Ed sitting up.

“Why?” Ed asked, glancing from her to Tobias.

“You were in that vision for 2 days.” Tobias said, a deep frown set on his face, “We got scared. I…I got scared.” 

Ed grabbed Toby’s hand, muttering, “Sorry.”

“I don’t want you doing this anymore.” Tobias said firmly.

Edmur shook his head as he said, “I’m getting better at it. The side effects have gone way down. In the past, something like this would have my eyes bleeding, or my heart failing. You remember that, you know how it was-…”

“Are you trying to get there again?” Tobias demanded, “I can’t watch that, I can’t sit there and wonder if you will live, or die because I can’t save you. Because I’m not smart enough to have engineered what you needed before, I’m not fast enough to finish it before you are so close to death. I can’t lose you, Ed! I can’t! I thought you understood that-…”

“I do.” Ed said, cutting him off as he reached over, placing the glass aside as he cupped Tobias’s cheeks, “Love, I do, but-…”

“No, Ed. No. I don’t want to hear 'buts' here.” Tobias said, grabbing Ed’s wrists tightly, “I want you to stop. Just stop. Visions will come to you when you need them, but other than that… you’ve always said you hated it, then why?”

“Because I want to have more control.” Edmur insisted, “I want to be able to be normal. To live a normal enough life that I can walk down the stairs without worrying I’d wake up at the bottom of them; Being able to ride a horse myself; Being able to duel; To actually get behind a wheel and drive. Do you know how limiting this is? How frustrating it is that I can barely do a thing myself without worrying about hurting myself because it is so damn unpredictable?”