🎵 시간을 거슬러

Standing right in front of the door to the King's throne room, you never stopped gripping the hilt of your sword tightly

Standing right in front of the door to the King's throne room, you never stopped gripping the hilt of your sword tightly. Especially knowing that the room was filled with people who had high expectations, including the King himself.

The night before you had prepared answers to some scenarios that might happen, unfortunately as nervousness clouded your thoughts, you can't remember any of them now. The military uniform that is usually very comfortable now feels tight due to your heart keeps pounding fast.

"The commander of Baekje's second army, Paek Y/N has returned from her journey..!"

As soon as the door is opened, you're reminded of how magnificent the hall is, leaving you in awe. The King's throne is located right in the middle of the hall, with a folding screen behind it depicting a Phoenix motif, symbolizing the King's supreme authority.

The ministers were sitting on soft cushions on the left and right sides of the hall. Your father, along with Seungcheol and Soon-young stood on the left side of the King's throne. You haven't seen the King's face directly, but his aura feels so strong that it makes you shudder.

Kneeling down on one knee before the King, you took a deep breath and said, "Your Majesty."

"Commander Paek," said the King, "I hope you and your soldiers are fine."

"Your Majesty, all the soldiers have returned home safely."

"I'm pleased to hear that. A year's journey is not an easy task." The King answered, "Raise your head."

When you finally see the King, feelings of failure and guilt are inevitable. The King looked as if he had lost weight, for some reason his skin color looked pale, his face looked tired and his eyes which previously radiated charisma now only radiated tiredness. His hand motion instructs you to stand up.

"So tell me, what have you gained from your journey?" Asked the King.

Your shoulders feel heavy supporting the expectations of the people present there. Especially the ministers who you're sure will find loopholes in everything you say.

"Your Majesty, we've travelled all the way to the mountain that is said to have the Peony flower at its peak. We've climbed the mountain also circled the entire surrounding to look for it..." You paused. From the corner of your eyes you could see your father nod, giving you the courage to continue.

"...However, we didn't find the slightest sign of that flower's existence. The answers we got from various people we met from many places were also consistent, they denied the existence of such mythical flower."

As you predicted, the minister spoke up even when the King said nothing.

"How far have you searched, Commander?" Asked Minister Byeongjo--the minister who's known for his thick eyebrows which always make him look angry.