🎵 금소화동숙

While singing sweetly, small birds perched on tree branches, among the leaves, flapping their wings underneath the morning drizzle

branches, among the leaves, flapping their wings underneath the morning drizzle.

The sun had risen but the light was blocked by thick gray clouds, giving a slight gloomy impression for Baekje people. Surely days like these were a source of joy for farmers, they can sit back and relax while the sky does its job of watering their crops. But not for traders or other groups whose work becomes less productive during rainy days.

Such things--the weather, in this case--were never a determining factor in how productive activities inside the palace would be. The soldiers, for example. Whether under the hot sun or heavy rain, sword training must still be done in the training hall--an open area at the back of the palace.

Mingyu was watching the soldiers train from the palace terrace while Jisoo helps him putting black gaiters on his sleeves and then fastened them with cloth strings. Dressed in red yungbok--a military uniform--he looks very dignified with his firm shoulders, exuding the aura of a Crown Prince.

"Not the best weather to go hunting." Mingyu sighed, looking up to the sky when the soldiers cheered loudly after someone won the duel.

"Perhaps a sign from the sky that you should train and not hunt." Dokyeom handed Mingyu his sheathed sword back.

The swordsman mounted more weapons on him. He had his trusted sword from his first teacher on his waist, a hunting knife also a bow and arrows on his back. It's nothing new considering that Dokyeom is known as a very talented hunter. He even made his own arrows from wood, bamboo and pheasant feathers. Its sharpness is able to penetrate its prey without torturing it.

"What's the point of war if we can live in peace?" While asking, Mingyu narrowed his eyes teasingly.

"I'm not saying we train for war. We never initiated any war." Dokyeom sulked as he followed Mingyu.

"To be prepared for war doesn't mean we're evil. Isn't that a form of preserving peace?"  Jisoo added. He bowed back towards several palace workers who had lined up at the side to let the three of them walk pass first.

"That's the problem." When Mingyu suddenly stopped, his two companions also stopped almost at the same time that Dokyeom's sharp nose almost bumped into Mingyu's back.

"I don't understand if anyone wants to war with Baekje. I mean, we live very peacefully now." Mingyu added again.

"Well.. There has been history, there is present life and there will also be life to come. It would be wise if you look at it from all sides." Jisoo's soft voice always makes his advice easily accepted by people.

Mingyu hummed softly, looking at the cherry blossom trees in the palace grounds while thinking to himself. For him personally, war is a taboo word. Since childhood, he never had the intention to become a great warrior like his father. If possible, he wanted to avoid any conflict that led to war. Maybe that's why he was never interested in becoming King. He knew that being King meant he would have to send lives into battle one day.